LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Puntius Melanampyx

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Puntius Melanampyx

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kajsa12
    Participant

Does anybody know how P. melanampyx (Day 1865) should look like?
    It seems to be a valid species.(see fishbase/catalog of fishes)
    Pictures on fishbase reminds me of a form of P. fasciatus that should be occuring in South Kerala/ Tamil Nadu (sometimes called P. afasciatus? Jayaram 1990)

And is anybody familiar with this pdf?
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bril…000004/art00009

Matt
    Keymaster

I was under the impression melanampyx is the 3-striped form of fasciatus occurring in central and southern Kerala whereas the name afasciatus corresponds to a different form from Kanyakumari (further south) and has either 1 or no bars at all. Rahul? Andy?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt, Hi Kajsa , P.afaciatus is, according to Jayaram different to P.fasciatus fasciatus in that it has no blotches [dark markings] its distribution is Nagercoil,Kanniyakumari district Tamil Nadu, the material that was used to describe this fish was in the collections of ZSI,Calcutta under the name P.melanampyx kanniyakumarei. As to its validity ?

Kajsa , Puntius Singhala is basically a Srilankan form of Puntius Filamentosus , when young it looks quite different to mature specimen up to about an inch or so it has vertical markings [ blotches] and was described as a different fish [Singhala]because of this ! as Singhala was used before Filamentosus it has now reverted back to the name Singhala !
    About twenty odd years ago the Srilankan fish used to be THE Filament barb in the hobby , as a young [inch long] fish it was really nice with its dark body markings and red caudal marks aka the Indian Filament barb , as it grew though still a fine looking fish it became an all over greenish colour and lost the red tail marks , which the Indian fish retains through life .

Kajsa12
    Participant

Thanks Andy.

The P. singhala part is clear to me after your reply and reading the review of the filamentosus group again.

About the melanampyx part I have some more questions.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Kajsa, The P.melanampyx kanniyakumarei at the ZSI Calcutta are the fish Jayaram named P.afasciatus , I wonder if the blotches had faded ? or the colour had blanched ? which made Jayaram name [rename] ?

Its as confusing to me also BUT I’d treat P.afasciatus with suspicion unless live specimens turn up !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.