LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Puntius Vs. Systomus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Puntius Vs. Systomus

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Any views as to how I should organise the Asian barbs in the species database? Everything as Puntius or should we follow Rainboth and split them into Puntius and Systomus?

Cheers

Malti
    Participant

what’s the difference between Puntius and Systomus?

Eyrie
    Participant

If there isn’t a consensus about splitting the catch-all that is Puntius then I’d be inclined to leave everything in there for the simple reason that that is the name most people will be familiar with and so would be looking for. Could always note in the profile that a species may be moved to a new genus.

Would it be possible to do a redirect to the appropriate Puntius if someone did a search for a Systomus?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Aug 16 2008, 10:48 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what’s the difference between Puntius and Systomus?

Rainboth used Systomus for small barbs with 2 or 4 barbels, less than 12 gill rakers on the first gill arch and a serrated dorsal-fin spine.

Puntius would have only 2 (never 4) barbels, and more than 12 gill rakers on the first arch and a smooth dorsal spine.

So that would make many of the barbs encountered in the aquarium trade Systomus. Kottelat is one of many you still use Puntius.

mickthefish
    Participant

ditto to what Marks said, to start using systomus would confuse rather than help people out.
    easiest wat Matt is to use Puntius for Asian barbs and barbus for African barbs.

mick

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Aug 16 2008, 12:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Rainboth used Systomus for small barbs with 2 or 4 barbels, less than 12 gill rakers on the first gill arch and a serrated dorsal-fin spine.

Puntius would have only 2 (never 4) barbels, and more than 12 gill rakers on the first arch and a smooth dorsal spine.

So that would make many of the barbs encountered in the aquarium trade Systomus. Kottelat is one of many you still use Puntius.

thanks

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks lads, and I agree it´ll be easier for everyone if we keep them all together. Puntius it is then!

Ps – Dunc´s feeling a bit off colour at the minute but when he´s fit and able I´ll suggest your search idea to him Mark. Cheers.

dunc
    Keymaster

Mmmm one way to do that would be to implement a synonym field on each profile.. otherwise it would be fairly “hardcoded”, i.e. I could implement that specific redirect, but it wouldn’t work for other synonyms.

Matt
    Keymaster

….and can you imagine how long it would take to add synonyms to all our profiles? The worst part is, it’s inevitable we’ll have to do it someday. Mummy…..

Author
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.