LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Quarantine Tanks

Home Forums My Aquarium Quarantine Tanks

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Gaina 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gaina
    Participant

I hope I’m putting this in the right section :).

I’m a long way off getting my next batch of fish but I thought it best to start thinking about quarantine tanks now so I’m properly prepared. I have a few questions:

Minimum size?

Pump?

Does it need to ‘cycle’ before I put new fish in it? How long for?

Bare or gravelled/planted?

Any other comments or advice that I have not covered in these questions would be gratefully received!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Size of fish dictates size of tank but smaller is better. I mostly use 10gallon tanks. Bare bottom with just a rock or two for hides. I keep at least one cycled and ready.

Byron Hosking
    Participant

I concur with Plaamoo if you are thinking of a QT that will only be running as needed, as opposed to permanently.

I will just describe my method, which works for me because I have a dedicated fish room so I keep a 20g tank permanently running that is used just to quarantine new fish for several weeks.  It has a sand substrate, some plants (culls from the other tanks), a couple chunks of rock and wood for cover purposes, and thick with floating plants both for water quality and reducing overhead light.  Sponge filter, and heater.  This tank as I say runs permanently, and can be empty of fish for a year or even longer.  The advantage of this is that I have not only a cycled tank but an established one for new acquisitions, and this does make quite a difference especially with my usually wild-caught and more delicate fish.  Fortunately I’ve never had to treat fish in QT, knock on wood, but if I did I realize the plants would likely be tossed as many medications will decimate them anyway.  Sand is very inexpensive to replace after any treatments.

I consider a hospital tank for treating disease on my long-standing fish a very different thing, and only once have I needed it (for pop-eye) but it is a 10g bare except for a wood-like decor that can be disinfected.  Fish in completely bare tanks will be severely stressed which when they are fighting off a disease only makes things more difficult.

Byron.

Gaina
    Participant

Thanks

for the replies, sorry I took a while to respond but I didn’t get email notification of this thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.