LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Quarantining A New Fish?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Quarantining A New Fish?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ShadowMac 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

rmo_3000
    Participant

Hi all, I was just reading on Tropical Fish Magazine online that it “it’s of the utmost importance to quarantine any new fishes for at least four weeks” in order to avoid the spread of parasites/disease. Is this true even if the new fish looks perfectly healthy???

Eyrie
    Participant

Yes, because a simple visual inspection does not give any indication of any internal parasites that may be present. The stress caused by the move from a shop to a home can lower the immune system of the fish which makes it more vulnerable to any disease or parasite that may be present. Isolating the fish in a quarantine tank makes it easier to monitor the new arrival to ensure that it is healthy and not carrying anything which will infect your existing fish. If a problem does arise, it is then simpler to treat a quarantine tank that a full sized aquarium.

ShadowMac

as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure…

although i don’t know if they say that in the UK /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Quarantine tanks do not need to be complex. A bare bottom tank with a heater and a basic HOB filter and/or airstone would be sufficient. I have some sand and a fake tree stump with caves to make the fish “feel” a little safer.

I have failed to quarantine in the past and have always paid for it. It catches up to you eventually.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.