LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Barbonymus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Barbonymus

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

New genus…new topic!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have seen B. altus on a few occasions but not that often really, Mick will have a better idea of how often they show up in the likes of BAS or Pier

Is B. gonionotus going to be included ?

mickthefish
    Participant

altus is nearly always in the shops round here, they’re selling them as shwanenfeldi which are rarely seen in the shops.
    the easiest way to tell what the fish is in the caudal fin if it does’nt have the comet tail then it’s altus.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Mick by comet tail do you mean the black stripes in the caudal? Mark if we can get pics we’ll include ’em all! Do you have a special interest in gonionotus mate?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Agree with Mick, the easiest way to tell them apart is the fact that B. altus doesnt have the black edging to the tail or dorsal.

I had two B. gonionotus some years ago, stunning placid fish that love plants and lots of them

Matt
    Keymaster

I think you already know my next question mate….

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 13 2008, 07:47 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think you already know my next question mate…. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone know reliably if any species of Barbonymus has been spawned by a hobbyist? Also any input as to whether these can become aggressive if kept in small numbers?

Matt
    Keymaster

Bump on questions above. Also Mark is this B. gonionotus? If so do you reckon the image is good enough for it to be worth doing a profile?

I found this while surfing for pics too….

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

That looks very much like the fish I had Matt, it also shows the yellow/orange coloration of the anal and pelvic fins as well.

There is a decent photo here , 4th post down, not sure if you could get permission to use it or not.

That other photo is just shocking

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mark is it the one listed as Hypsibabus wetmorei? My Thai isn’t the best but it’s worth an ask in English for sure!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 28 2008, 05:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cheers Mark is it the one listed as Hypsibabus wetmorei? My Thai isn’t the best but it’s worth an ask in English for sure! /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

andy rushworth
    Participant

The altus and shwanenfeldi’s are easy to tell apart as for Gonionatus ? they probarbly have been imported as bycatches ? the Hypsibarbus’s [Lemonfins] are altogether more difficult there are at least 12 in the group , Wetmorei appears to be the more commonly imported one , but others do come in ! I had another type possibly H. malcolmi, but was by no means certain , I notice on the freshwater forum at Loaches online , there is a thread about Thai fish markets , and there is what looks like a Hypsibarbus sp/? yellow fins red cheeks STUNNING !

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Andy. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.