LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions on Danio

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions on Danio

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I had a few fry from my D. choprae in England but it was a case of them simply appearing in the tank alongside the adults. What methods do you guys employ for more controlled harvesting of fry?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Choices for spawning Danios:

1. Place Cabomba or like plants into 2 or 3 (more if aquarium is large) small plant pots Pack marbles around the plants. Enough of the spawning activity, from a mature group of Danios, nearly always takes place around the plants to enable a number of eggs to fall between the marbles and, thus, find safety.

2. Place two conditioned females and a male into a cullander (sorry if wrong spelling but you know what I mean). When trio spawn eggs fall through the holes and into a bare tank below.

3. I have not tried this one, to cruel for me, but am told it works? Place several mature Danios into an aquarium with a single Leaffish. Instinct of survival triggers the Danios to spawn. When all the adult Danios disappear then remove the Leaffish and you should, in theory, be left with an aquarium of Danio fry?

Hope this helps.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey David is the “cullander” a Fang or a Sven? Sorry couldn’t resist…

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Aug 25 2009, 05:03 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    3. I have not tried this one, to cruel for me, but am told it works? Place several mature Danios into an aquarium with a single Leaffish. Instinct of survival triggers the Danios to spawn. When all the adult Danios disappear then remove the Leaffish and you should, in theory, be left with an aquarium of Danio fry?

What :/ I don’t even know what to say to that

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Very funny Matt.

Dunc when Matt asked the methods to spawn Danios I replied with the range of ways I know of. As I said I would not try the Leaffish method myself but know of folk who have -and am told that it does work.

Regards David

andy rushworth
    Participant

Ha ha ha I like that Matt /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Changed the title of the thread as I have another question lol.

Does D. dangila really grow to 6″ in length? Somehow I doubt it…

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Aug 27 2009, 04:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey

Very funny Matt.

Dunc when Matt asked the methods to spawn Danios I replied with the range of ways I know of. As I said I would not try the Leaffish method myself but know of folk who have -and am told that it does work.

Regards David

David…

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , me and Mick had some pretty big Dangilas , possibly 5 inch standard length ? I’m not 100% but it might well be feasable ?

Matt
    Keymaster

retro_gk
    Participant

The biggest dangila I’ve had was just about 4″ TL (3 years in my tank). I’ve got some year old 3″ TL fish now, let’s see how large they get.

Largest meghalayensis I’ve had was 2″ TL, perhaps a shade larger. I haven’t had one live past the 2 year mark yet, so maybe they get larger.

I’ve collected a few Devario malabaricus that were 6″+ (longer than the palm of my hand). I don’t think too many specimens get to that size, though.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Rahul.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

The types must have been in the care of Andy’s stewardess? ha ha ha.

Matt
    Keymaster

Bump the dangila-in-the-Ganges question.

Attached files

retro_gk
    Participant

The dangila types came from the Ganges?

The fish in the hobby today are collected in Bengal and parts east, but there have been reports of this species from Nepal which, if true, would make its presence in the Ganges quite likely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.