LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Schistura

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Schistura

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

…beginning with S. sp. sf. balteata. Beautiful fish of which I had a group of 6 in England. From what I’ve seen on Petfrd there are a whole bunch of similar-looking fish but the one I’m interested in is the very colourful form that comes in ‘pink’ and ‘yellow’ varieties:

Yellow one; Mark’s fish:

Pink one; HW Choy.

Apparently these are found living together in the wild? Anyone have any idea about the reason for the colour differences?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Start with the easy question eh Matt

Matt
    Keymaster

Alright then; what’s the maximum size these have reached in your tanks?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The biggest I have ever got them to Matt was around 80mm SL

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers mate; my biggest one was around that TL I think.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , I’ve currantly got 3 in a tank of fishes with a reputation i.e. Y.mortleti [skunk Loaches] Syncrossus’s Berdmorei and Beauforti , Scaphognathus sp/, and Garra Fascicauda, the latter showing little if any aggression !

The S.balteata seem ok ? possibly to quick for any real contact with said fishes ? though in fairness they are in a 5ft x 15inx 18in tank , I seem to have had them for a good while ? so I guess they are okay ? the tank base has a shollow sandy bottom with plenty of rocks and wood for cover !

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I kept a group of 8 in a 75 gallon and they ended up ripping the hell out of each other even though there was loads of cover and lines of sight were broken, I ended up with one after a few month. Strangely enough I had the less colourful balteata and they were fine with each other

Matt
    Keymaster

Mark yours sound like absolute maniacs compared with mine; they just picked a rock each to sit under and hardly interacted except at feeding time. Then they’d zoom up into midwater to catch stuff passing by in the water flow. Maybe the aggression is related to which form it is? There’s a yellow-bodied one in the background here but the fish at the front looks different to yours?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I had both of those colour forms Matt, it was the yellow ones that were nut jobs the others were fine.

Possible sexual dimorphism ? or could it be a natural hybrid/variant with psychotic tendencies

Plaamoo
    Participant

My 2 sound about like yours Matt. They’re in my 75 botia tank with sand and lots of rocks & wood. They give each other a quick chase off the food but it’s harmless. They never bother anything else.

Sharing space with the liniparhomaloptera.

Daspricey
    Participant

These two threads might help (or confuse) if you’ve not read them already,

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php…hlight=balteata

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=…hlight=balteata

As far as i can tell from them there’s at least four similar looking species balteata, paucifasciata, cincticauda and the cf balteata. Probably a load more though. lol

Dave

Sojapat

Hello.
    Here is a habitat photo ,Note the Blackwater ..But the ph is not very low .
    I collected them in Febuary , They blend in really well in the tanned water .

There are many different populations , I got so carried away catching them I didnt take a picture .
    I think they were Balteata 1

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Sojapat @ Jul 1 2009, 04:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello.
    Here is a habitat photo ,Note the Blackwater ..But the ph is not very low .
    I collected them in Febuary , They blend in really well in the tanned water .

There are many different populations , I got so carried away catching them I didnt take a picture .
    I think they were Balteata 1

Where is this Sojapat?

Matt
    Keymaster

Cracking info Neil; are they always found in stained water? Also what do you mean by “balteata 1″? Has someone created a system for identifying the different forms?

Don’t suppose you have any higher-res images of the habitat?

Think that’s enough questions for now.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok just to add a bit of additional info it seems that the ‘true’ S. balteata is known as ‘Sumo I’ and the brightly-coloured one ‘Sumo II’. I’ve had contact with Kamphol who says that all the Sumo II’s in the trade are sourced from the Ataran River in Myanmar, a tributary of the Salween.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.