LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Quick Trip To Habitat Of Aphanius Baeticus

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Quick Trip To Habitat Of Aphanius Baeticus

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

My gf’s mum has friends over at the minute (she’s from Lithuania) and they decided they wanted to go to Tarifa today. Good news for me as it meant I could spend a couple of hours checking the population of A. baeticus there. While they drank beers and ate tapas in the town I was getting covered in s**t and scratched to death by evil wild plants!

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

..and to say I was pleasantly surprised today would be putting it mildly.

It’s been a bad winter for the office chair…

Next bit is pic #3 above, but from the opposite side because I couldn’t get round anymore.

These are all parts of the previously bare ground in the first pic…

…a-and this one is looking back at the area in pic #3; this is the closest I could get.

This is how the grassy bit in pic #4 looks now.

Amazing the change in six months eh? /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Attached files

thelizzious

Wow, that’s a huge difference! I am so glad people finally actually care for this! Our (everyones) enviroment would be so much better if we would all care!

Matt
    Keymaster

Not sure it’s down to people more Mother Nature Liz. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> It goes without saying that all these specimens were released as it is illegal to remove this species from the wild.

Young male

Adult male

Attached files

thelizzious

Poor fish. Why? Imagine you would be picked out of the crowd and photographed like a model and then be thrown right back. /thumbs_down.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsdn:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_down.gif” />
    Lovely fish though and the piics are not that bad, give yourself some credit. Or I will.
    Oh, I already did that.

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (thelizzious @ Mar 13 2009, 06:11 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I know what you mean, Matt, but who is to blame for the increasing havoc Mother Nature is displaying lately? /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />).

And nice pictures Matt, thanks for sharing

thelizzious

QUOTE (oaken @ Mar 14 2009, 12:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don’t think this is because of humans though – and honestly it’s getting quite tiresome that as soon as “Mother Nature” doesn’t act the way we want it too we blame global warming and what not. Not saying it’s not causing trouble but I think it’s funny that as soon as it ain’t snowing as much as it used to (supposedly) it’s because of global warming (and hey, we’ve been getting a shitload more snow than we did last year /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

I think it would be wiser for me to generalize my words more, huh?

Bluedave
    Participant

Global warming is a misnomer – it’s climate change.

Great to see the updated pics Matt

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks guys. I agree that the climate may simply be moving in its natural cycle but for sure we’re having a hugely detrimental effect on the natural world and the extinction rate is way beyond what it should be. In that respect we may pay later in some way imo. Ho-hum…

I wish Manuel had told me the river was seasonal though as I wouldn’t have been so stressed about the situation in the summer. dry.gif

thelizzious

Wouldn’t life be boring if you already knew everything? Aren’t we here to learn?
    Btw Isn’t global heating a symptom of the climate change? Or did I mix that up as well? /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Bluedave
    Participant

Yes Liz, global warming is part of it but some places are actually getting colder even though the average temperature of the earth (as a whole) is increasing. Hence the term climate change, some place are getting hotter, some are getting colder, some wetter, some windier and some all of the above!!! lol

Matt,

He’s spanish – he probably didn’t think to mention it and you didn’t ask, lol. Wish we had a ‘spanish bloke shrugging shoulders’ emoticon!!! pmsl

keith565
    Participant

fab pics Matt. it looks a totally different place from the first lot of pics.
    did you have any trouble finding the fish? how do you think they are doing, numbers etc.

Matt
    Keymaster

Actually at first I thought I wasn’t going to be able to catch any because the water level had risen so much Keith. As it was so low last time I went without waders and a big net so this was my only equipment. /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

Mostly I just caught a couple of species of shrimp and in the shallow flowing section you can see above loads of fry of what I think were from the Cobitis I caught last summer (didn’t get any of those this time). But in an hour and a half fishing from the banks with the tiny net I still got 14 Aphanius. I suppose this population is not in as much danger as it appeared to be in the summer.

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

bloody hell, i think you did very well to catch anything with that net.
    good to see they seem to be doing OK.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.