LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rainbow Darter Collecting: Etheostoma caeruleum. West Michigan, USA

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Rainbow Darter Collecting: Etheostoma caeruleum. West Michigan, USA

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oaken 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

zeelandtrop

GVAC-4-7-12-076.jpgGVAC-4-7-12-085.jpgGVAC-4-7-12-023.jpg GVAC-4-7-12-064.jpgGVAC-4-7-12-004.jpg

Colin
    Participant

beautiful fish…. easy to catch?

Matt
    Keymaster

Wonderful-looking fish and habitat, thanks a lot for posting the pics.:smile: Some of these came home with you?

zeelandtrop

Fairly easy to catch. Males were in the shallow areas in and around the rocks trying to attract females. Air and water temps were quite chilly in early April.

I did not take any home. We released them after taking some photos. I had already spawned a trio of these that I collected last summer. I overwintered them inside to see if temp change or photo period change triggered them to spawn. Temp didn’t vary more than 10 degrees F, so I think the exposure to the natural photoperiod had more to do with triggering them.

Matt
    Keymaster

So you keep them outdoors at home?

Stefan

That is fantastic! What a magnificant species. Are we from the same country by any chance? What do you feed them?

zeelandtrop

Matt: These are kept indoors. My basement stays at or below 70F in summer. They are a cool water river species, so no heater. 

Stefan: I agree that they are a wonderful species, and are quite widespread in the eastern half of the US. Not many people know they are in our rivers and streams though. Very interesting to observe in their habitat. They are quite personable, and adapt to captive life quite well. I have found they prefer live foods, (blackworms, daphnia) but will also take frozen bloodworms. Interesting spawning behavior, and the fry did well on live baby brine shrimp and microworms. I thought they grew rather slowly though. As for location I am in Zeeland, Michigan, USA. Located a bit south west of Grand Rapids, MI. Our local aquarium club is Grand Valley Aquarium Club based out of Grand Rapids.

oaken
    Participant

Very cool. I wish we would have such an interesting freshwater fauna around here 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.