LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rasboras Of Sri Lanka

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Rasboras Of Sri Lanka

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Colin 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

So here are the Sri Lankan rasboras post-revision.

This one is R. wilpita, restricted to just a handful of localities:

Then two new ones. R. armitagei:

…and R. naggsi:

This is what we have labelled as R. wilpita in the Knowledge Base (Mark’s fish). R. dandia?

Finally, R. microcephalus which was previously thought to be R. caverii, which is now a synonym of R. dandia

All images except Mark’s from: Silva, A., K. Maduwage & R. Pethiyagoda. 2010. A review of the genus Rasbora in Sri Lanka, with description of two new species (Teleostei: Cyprinidae). Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwat. 21(1): 27-50

Attached files

Eyrie
    Participant

Has Rasbora vaterifloris been reclassified then?

Used to have a group of these – very attractive fish when they’d coloured up.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup Mark R. vaterifloris has been in its own genus (Rasboroides) for over 15 years only the literature hasn’t caught up.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have spent most of today trying to get a good look at them Matt, any other time they dont race around like complete nut jobs /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

when they are side by side the differences are distinguishable, I did comment when I got my second batch that they looked different from what I already had. I will try and get some comparison pics later in the week when I am doing water changes, I will try an maybe net a couple out (no mean feet in the 7ft tank

Colin
    Participant

was there not an article regarding these fish in an Aquarium Gazette issue last year or so? I have no idea where my disks are just now though???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.