LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Red New Guinea Woes

Home Forums My Aquarium Red New Guinea Woes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

Hi guys. I am having problems with my Red New Guinea Rainbows. Last year when we had power outage during winter, my two females both kicked the bucket, leaving three large males (like in my avatar)without mates to chase. They recently lived with three large Bosemani, and due to growth size/tank space, I traded off my Western Australian Rainbows, that also made up the school, at the LFS. The western females seem to have pacified the RNG’s briefly. And for the past few months I have asked our LFS guy to order me some RNG females several times now, to no avail. (you may recall that I was hopeful they were large enough when the store phoned to say that they had three females for me).

Well, I felt obligated to purchase two of what they ordered, which were babies. *sigh* They were also small enough to be eaten by my syno cat, so I put the babies in the parrot cichlid tank, where one was eaten by the nasty botia that I traded. Now the other baby is bright red and a male, and swimming with the rasboras /angry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:angry:” border=”0″ alt=”angry.gif” /> why am I not surprised? After three days of rest, the medium one is now bullying everyone in the other tank (except the Parrot Cichlids and pictus cats).

I dont know what to do. I am tempted to either A.trade them for more bosemani, or set up another tank and put them in with the Ctenopoma bush fish , but that means that the bullying may start again as I have a large one, a medium one and a small one. What would you do?

If I trade them in, what would make good tank mates for the Ctenopoma? the only other African fish I have is the Syno cat

Matt
    Keymaster

I would either buy more or trade them Reva, three is usually not a good number with these and two is even worse! Your Ctenopoma will do ok with anything that is not too aggressive or bite-sized but if you want African species then some of the tetras like Alestopetersius caudalis are rather nice. Butterfly fish Pantodon buchholzi are also quite interesting

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 23 2009, 09:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would either buy more or trade them Reva, three is usually not a good number with these and two is even worse! Your Ctenopoma will do ok with anything that is not too aggressive or bite-sized but if you want African species then some of the tetras like Alestopetersius caudalis are rather nice. Butterfly fish Pantodon buchholzi are also quite interesting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.