LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Red Tail Catfish

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Red Tail Catfish

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  thelizzious 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bluedave
    Participant

If you were going to keep one of these, what size tank would you keep them in.

I’m not interested in keeping one by the way – i’ve seen them in a massive tank in Bangkok (I may have posted a pic on here somewhere) but other people are talking about keeping them on other forums and I seem to be one of the only voices of reason.

David Marshall
    Participant

Bluedave

I think you are a voice of sense. These fish need at least a tank of 7x2x2′ with brilliant filtration. They can be difficult to feed yet become addicted to beef heart.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

mate your not on your own on this, all the fish-heads i know think they should be banned.
    as to the tank, except for public aquaria the only place they should be kept is in a heated pond.

mick

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Sep 30 2008, 10:26 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    mate your not on your own on this, all the fish-heads i know think they should be banned.
    as to the tank, except for public aquaria the only place they should be kept is in a heated pond.

mick

i second that, to many are left in unsuitable conditions or left for public aquaria to take care of.

Matt
    Keymaster

Although not fully-edited our profile contains my opinion on minimum “tank” size…

Simply not an aquarium fish imo. You keep tellin’ em Dave mate.

Jarcave
    Participant

My opinions on large cats, particularly the species like these which can attain 5′ potentialy are well documented elsewhere (On a forum I’m now banned from for speaking my mind – lol). They are not suitable for aquaria in my opinion. Unless of courase you can provide something along the lines of a small swimming pool.

I regularly visit a local wholesalers and am saddedned every time I see a tank of 40 or so 2″ babies. The same goes for TSN’s and their hybrid crosses.

I genuinely don’t believe it’s good or ethical practise to keep any fish if you can’t provide an environment where your “pet” will achieve it’s maximum size. People who believe that “fish only grow to the size of the tank so thats ok”, are guilty of neglect and cruelty. It’s a shame they don’t understand that they are simply stunting their fishes growth and damaging their health.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have to agree with you all on this one, there are some fish that just shouldn’t be in the hobby and this is one of them.

I have lost count of the amount of calls I have had in the past about these and pretty much every one was either stunted or in very cramped/poor conditions

keith565
    Participant

only a few months ago i found a bucket at my back door with 3 large oscars in it, no note, no idea who left them, needless to say i had to frantically ring around to find a new home for these guys.
    this is how desperate people get with tank busters. i read not to long ago that many of the public aquariums are refusing to take pacu as they are all overflowing with them. but they are still being sold. we need new legislation to stop these fish from being imported, but i can’t see that happening, can you?

Eyrie
    Participant

Minimum tank size for a fish is usually six times length across and twice front-to-back, so a swimming pool is the only sensible solution for one of these. I’ve seen a 24″+ specimen in a 6′ tank, and it looked cramped.

thelizzious

QUOTE (Jarcave @ Oct 1 2008, 08:07 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My opinions on large cats, particularly the species like these which can attain 5′ potentialy are well documented elsewhere (On a forum I’m now banned from for speaking my mind – lol). They are not suitable for aquaria in my opinion. Unless of courase you can provide something along the lines of a small swimming pool.

I regularly visit a local wholesalers and am saddedned every time I see a tank of 40 or so 2″ babies. The same goes for TSN’s and their hybrid crosses.

I genuinely don’t believe it’s good or ethical practise to keep any fish if you can’t provide an environment where your “pet” will achieve it’s maximum size. People who believe that “fish only grow to the size of the tank so thats ok”, are guilty of neglect and cruelty. It’s a shame they don’t understand that they are simply stunting their fishes growth and damaging their health.

Bluedave
    Participant

Glad it’s not just me!

Some one said they are keeping them in an 8′ x 3′ x 3′ tank, so thats alright! I just asked how a 3.5′ fish turns around in a 3′ tank – just innocently you understand……

Posted these pics of an appropriate tank from bangkok:

Just waiting for a reply………..

thelizzious

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Oct 1 2008, 09:50 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Glad it’s not just me!

Some one said they are keeping them in an 8′ x 3′ x 3′ tank, so thats alright! I just asked how a 3.5′ fish turns around in a 3′ tank – just innocently you understand……

Posted these pics of an appropriate tank from bangkok:

Just waiting for a reply………..

My reply is very simple, the crack you just heard was my heart that broke.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.