LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rhinogobius leavelli?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Rhinogobius leavelli?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kim m 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

kim m
    Participant

Recently I purchased these Rhinogobius as “sp.1”, probably sourced from Ruinemans in Holland.

I keep them in a tank along with some Corys and a few Poecilia wingei and added a cave two days ago. Yesterday there were eggs :)

So, I am wondering what species I really have? Closest I can find seems to me R. leavelli.

Any thoughts?fisk-maj-484.JPG

fisk-maj-535.JPG

fisk-maj-488.JPG

fisk-maj-491.JPG

fisk-maj-530.JPG

mikev
    Participant

Well, you need Jutta for an ID, but one thing that I know: leavelli produce many eggs that are much smaller than typical for rhinogobius…. so how many eggs and how large may resolve the question.

Further, I see a red scarf on the male, and even clearer it is shown on the Ruinemans Sp.1 listing photo…. this points to the duospilus complex.

kim m
    Participant

Thanks Mike!

The eggs are around 1,5 mm. (difficult to actually measure, they are far into the cave) and maybe 40 from one female.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’d go with R. leavelli on a tentative basis, since there may be more than one species confused under that name. Nice fish Kim!

mikev
    Participant

@kim m said:

Thanks Mike!
    The eggs are around 1,5 mm. (difficult to actually measure, they are far into the cave) and maybe 40 from one female.

Really need Jutta here…. but this sounds more toward duospilus.
    (note: I assume that 1.5mm refers to the inner diameter of the egg. Rhino eggs have double shell, a sphere (the egg properly) inside an oval shaped bag. If 1.5mm is the length of the oval, the eggs themselves are much smaller…leavelli size).

Ferrika
    Participant

I would say, it is not R. leavelli. The first pic looks like Rhinogobius rubromaculatus yellow. But not really. Only similar. I don’t know, what species it is. But definitely not R. leavelli. The eggs are too large.

mikev
    Participant

Jutta,

look at the Ruinemans photos here.

https://www.ruinemans.com/media-resize/7062b8c018b3aeafacc3292826a7bb6b/3902.jpg

this scarf …

Dana
    Participant

Hi,

I wouldn´t say R. leavelli eggs are much smaller than typical for rhinogobius: R-leavelli-130424-kl.jpg

Well conditioned R. leavelli male:R-leavelli-130508.JPG

Group:R-leavelli-130512_08.JPG

kim m
    Participant

Thank you all for the inputs…a bit pro/con I see :)

I wish I could get decent photos of the eggs. If they are indeed double shelled, they are maybe 1 mm. or less I guess.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great looking fish, Dana!

kim m
    Participant

So, the eggs are gone. I guess inexperienced parents or something…maybe stress from the other fish (Poecilia wingei, Corydoras weitzmani). The other female is really round, so fingers crossed.

I will try to get some decent egg-shots next time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.