LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

rhinogobius rubromaculatus: sexing

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes rhinogobius rubromaculatus: sexing

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Would anyone (Ferrika, please!) explain kindly how to sex them?

I was going to get them today and had to pass because it looked like all of them (20+) in the tank were males…. this of course could not be.

Please help…this is the current dream fish!

Ferrika
    Participant

This is at the R. rubromaculatus sometimes very difficult depending on which variation you have and how well the females are colored.
    In the gray variation, it is easiest. The males have a well-marked, white to pink dorsal border. The females have not this and her body is marked with paler red dots.
    With the red variation (which you have not, I think) it is very hard. The males and females do not have dorsal border often highly colored fins. Because you can sometimes wait only until courtship to distinguish them :-)
    The yellow variation, the same applies as for the red. Males and females can often differ significantly only during courtship. In both variants, the colors are paler in females than in males.

R. rubromaculatus grey male

R. rubromaculatus grey female

mikev
    Participant

Jutta,

Thanks a lot. Could you look at this pic plz:

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/goby1.jpg

(This is the fish.. .not sure which variation).

Plaamoo
    Participant

Just buy them all Mike! :)

mikev
    Participant

Quite expensive and having an all male tank does not seem smart either.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I was joking of course but figured out of 20 there’s bound to be a mix.

Comparing with Jutta’s pics I’m guessing that’s a male in the center. See what she says??

mikev
    Participant

nay, I would indeed buy all in some cases. I did just this with sew02/sew04 last time…. the light was bad, figuring out just what the fish was did not seem productive, I took the entire bunch to sort them at home. The vendor keeps them mostly in the dark, so the fish is barely colored, and figuring out there is sometimes quite difficult… we could not even see red dots on rubros!… i don’t know how possible it will be to determine who has white fin rim and who has pale! Jutta’s photos are great, but I am not sure they will be enough on uncolored fish… maybe she can suggest something else helpful.

I want to know what she says about the one behind! the front fish does look like a male, but they all look like males to me.

Ferrika
    Participant

Hi Mike,

the fish in the picture is a female :-) There is no white dorsal border…..

The one behind is a female too. Perhaps the fish on the left could be a male (because the white border on the tail fin).

Matt
    Keymaster

My males all have noticeably wider head profiles than the females too. Is this true in all the colour forms Jutta?

Ferrika
    Participant

No Matt, only by the grey variation. At the yellow variation there in nothing border and the red variation the border is light blue and there have both sexes this border.

mikev
    Participant

Thanks a lot Jutta! — much clearer now. I will try going back armed with your info.

Incidentally, the same seems to apply to Zhoui too… my largest female became nearly as colored as the males, the dorsal rim is the only obvious difference now (when they are not in a spawning mood, of course).

Plaamoo
    Participant

@Ferrika said:
    Hi Mike,

the fish in the picture is a female :-) There is no white dorsal border…..

The one behind is a female too. Perhaps the fish on the left could be a male (because the white border on the tail fin).

So much for my guessing ability:D. I was going by the spots and assuming that they weren’t colored up enough to show the dorsal border. Good luck getting a mix Mike!

mikev
    Participant

Same problem with me, I thought this was an obvious male!

Thanks… not sure yet when I can make it there…will try of course.

Ferrika
    Participant

Matt, I misunderstood your question. Yes, the head is in the gray males are significantly wider than in the females. This is but unfortunately not true for all colors. For the red one sees almost no distinction, the females have a slightly round face. When the yellow that’s so the head is barely wider.

Mike and Jim:
    The edge of the fin at the gray disappears, as in the zhoui, not even in fright coloration. It can be seen almost always. But the female form of the never. You can see the top of my photo, how wide is this The edge.
    With the females you can see it even perhaps suggested but never as wide and clear.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Jutta. The temperature is dropping here finally so it’s time to make an effort to breed mine as well. Moving them to a larger tank this week. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.