LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rhinogobius species

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Rhinogobius species

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Only ever kept the single specimen I still have so am wondering if the different species exhibit varying degrees of aggression towards one another and other fishes? If so, which of those available in the trade are more/less aggressive?

Matt
    Keymaster

No-one?

torso
    Participant

hi Matt
    r. duospilus, leavelli, rubromaculatus: ignore other species. not agressive in sense of attacking directly other specimen. in degrees: duospilus, rubromaculatus, leavell. in case of the last: females avoided direct contact with the male, leaving the place whenever he appeared.
    J. Baur and M. Taxacher have certainly more infos.
    cheers Charles

pablito
    Participant

only ever kept one species Matt, same as you, and I thought the aggression was all ‘handbags at dawn’. Never saw any damage to any of the fish I had.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks chaps, as suspected then.

Ferrika
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    like Charles said: almost all Rhinogobius Species are not interested on other species and ignore them the most time.
    There are exceptions. If for example an A. australe attack R. duospilus (which they love to do), the goby will defense herself. But they never takes on its own initiative.
    Meanwhile, more and more from the duospilus complex come in the trade and recently appeared with us a rather aggressive species: R. ponkouensis. Their females real attack of itself to other fish. It is therefore important to look closely when purchasing.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Jutta, the new one sounds interesting!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.