LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rhinogobius spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Rhinogobius spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Per chance does anyone here has a good understanding of the Rhinogobuis genus or a reference that may help?

Here is the issue: I may be able to get some less common rhinogobuis but given the difficulties and the cost, have to be careful with the selection. what I’m looking for are the species in the same league as R.wui (== smaller, non-aggressive, do not require brackish water in the reproduction cycle) and would like to avoid species similar to R.guirinus (too good in killing each other).

And I’ve never seen any species on the list in person which makes this a total lottery… well, Rhinogobius maculafasciatus I did see and it seems like the right kind.

If someone here can help, I’ll post the list of what should be possible to get.

TIA!

Matt
    Keymaster

I have some papers Mike. Do you know where your fishes originate from?

mikev
    Participant

Thank you Matt,

It is Taiwan, in all cases. Here is the list

Rhinogobius delicatus
    Rhinogobius gigas
    Rhinogobius giurinus
    Rhinogobius henchuenensis
    Rhinogobius maculafasciatus
    Rhinogobius formosanus
    Rhinogobius nantaiensis
    Rhinogobius rubromaculatus
    Stenogobius genivittatus

R.giurinus I am familiar with…., the difference between Rhino and Steno seems to be imprecise, so I listed one Steno they have. They also have various Stiphodons, Sicyopus, etc but I guess these are all non-breedable.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm all of those are currently valid except R. formosanus which appears to be a synonym of R. brunneus. Are you ok if I flaunt my administrative status to grab your email address Mike?

Also, can any kindly soul help with these?

Aonuma, Y. and I-S. Chen. 1996. Two new species of Rhinogobius (Pisces, Gobiidae) from Taiwan. Journal of Taiwan Museum 49(1): 7-13

Lee, S.-C. and J.-T. Chang. 1996. A new goby, Rhinogobius rubromaculatus (Teleostei: Gobiidae), from Taiwan. Zoological Studies 35(1): 30-35

Chen, I-S. , P. J. Miller, and L.-S. Fang. 1998.
    A new species of freshwater goby from Lanyu (Orchid Island), Taiwan. Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 9(3): 255-261

QUOTE (mikev @ Apr 27 2011, 04:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    the difference between Rhino and Steno seems to be imprecise

They should be pretty easy to tell apart since they’re not that closely-related. One quick and dirty way might be checking the caudal fin which is elongate and pointed in male Stenogobius spp., and I think they generally grow a fair bit larger than Rhinogobius, too.

QUOTE (mikev @ Apr 27 2011, 04:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They also have various Stiphodons, Sicyopus, etc but I guess these are all non-breedable.

If amphidromous shrimp such as Caridina multidentata can be successfully raised in captivity perhaps there’s no reason why fishes shouldn’t be next? Would love to give this a go.

mikev
    Participant

Thanks, Matt,

Sure grab the email or just copy from here: [email protected]+a+n+i+x.c+o+m (without +’s).

I’m not ready for such experiments…not until I can raise a nerite snail and all the experiments so far were failures….but hmm…maybe I should try Caridina?

pablito
    Participant

All of this talk of rhinos/stenos reminded me that I had a group of about 10 in a tank that I’d quite forgotten about. When I poked about a bit in the tank they all appeared out of their hidey holes looking in rude health. I’d obviously not forgotten their water/diet and other requirements. I decided to have a go a breeding them which was the intention when I first got them over a year ago.
    I set up a 15 x 10 x 8in tank with coral sand, java moss, a 2in. whelk shell, a 2.5in. clay pot and a clay tube. No heating and an external trickle filter powered by a small internal power head.
    Choosing the breeders was relatively simple I just had to find a pair that looked as if they’d been cosying up during my forgetful period. The fish are about 2in. TL and the female was so gravid that I was able to count eggs through her abdomen walls. I didn’t choose the biggest, most colourful male but the one she seemed to be closest to. Both fish went into their boudoir on Tuesday before I went to work. This morning she is empty and in sight wheras the male has disappeared. I await further developments.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good luck with that Pablito. Also lookin forward to further developments!

My first rhinogobius. I got this one as a contaminant with the lh disparis last week, along with my first p. cheni also. It was purely by accident but I’m really warming up to him! Lots of personality! I hatched a fresh batch of bbs for rianbow fry today so added a little to this tank as an experiment and he sucked them up with great zeal! The lh disparis & p.cheni did too.

Matt
    Keymaster

One of the R. duospilus group Jim? My turn to be jealous now!

Paul, please let us know what happens.

Plaamoo
    Participant

That’s what i figured Matt, but I really know nothing about these. I know Mike has bred them

mikev
    Participant

Yep, this happened.

Glad you like him Jim… now all you need is to find a few more, they are more fun as a group….

Did Cheni also come from the disparis/vannies shipment? (Check that it is a cheni and not something else… while vannies and gobies actually come from the same streams right around HK, asaik there are no pseudogastros there…. )

Plaamoo
    Participant

Looks like p. cheni to me?? In the same bag as the rhino & lh disparis.

mikev
    Participant

Yep, it is….with good red too, it seems

(of course, there is that issue of P.cheni vs P.myersi…. but it is one of the two…)

Need to find more now

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (mikev @ May 6 2011, 08:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    (of course, there is that issue of P.cheni vs P.myersi…. but it is one of the two…)

Charles (torso) seems to be able to distinguish them quite easily but I’m still confused. < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW, your vannies seem to be doing fine now,…more active and grazing around. I have to wait one month for quarantine, but then I’m tempted to put the pseudogastro fry with them… they should be nice together until pseudogastros mature.

You two been sharing fish?

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (mikev @ May 6 2011, 01:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yep, it is….with good red too, it seems

Need to find more now /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” /> to be very fragile feeders. They won’t compete well with any even slightly aggressive fish. They do get aggressive and hunt when food goes in the tank, but if it doesn’t end up directly under their mouth, they don’t get it. I’m wondering if they’re lacking a sense of smell?? Mine are in two different q-tanks. 2 with the rhino & p. cheni, and 4 with 2 sicydium sp. They lose out big time to all of these when feeding.

Help yourself to the pic Matt. I can take more if & when you need them. Let me know. And yeah, Mike & I do a bit of swapping

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 6 2011, 09:45 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Charles (torso) seems to be able to distinguish them quite easily but I’m still confused.

Pseudogastromyzons, even <2" males, chase vannies away easily.

Nice photo Jim, will add it to the profile when I finish writing it!

You’ll have to figure out which one it is then…

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.