LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rivulus xiphidius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Rivulus xiphidius

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oaken 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Has anyone kept these before? I’m considering giving them a go. But other than reading that they are prone to jumping (aren’t all killis?) and having low fecundity I’ve not found too much information on them.

If anyone can relate any experiences I’d be most grateful.

Thanks in advance
    Jared

Matt
    Keymaster

My friend Juan Pablo has this species. I’ll ask him for you Jared.

hachge
    Participant

[I breed this fish for more than 25 years and it is an easy one.I use to keep them by pair or 2 pairs in a 15 liters tank with lots of java moss in, a corner filter and water about 100µS at temperature of 24/26°C,oak leaves on the bottom and you can see the fry swimming when feeding time.They don’t eat their fry in my experience or very seldom when fed with live food only:blood worms,grindals micro worms and in fact all kind of live food.They last more than 4 years if kept in good conditions.They are very colorful.Best to keep them in specific tanks alone

kim m
    Participant

I’ve kept R. xiphidius (FBS 92/2 strain) for 1½ years an can only comfirm the above; easy species to keep and breed.

I keep a pair in 16 litres with oak and beech leaves, black rounded gravel as substrate and javamoss and a spawning mop I check for eggs a couple of times a week. I get many fry by hatching the ehhs in hatching tubs but I also see fry with the adults occasionally (guess this is from eggs laid in the moss). I use soft water. pH 6/100 mickrosiemens.

Attached files

oaken
    Participant

Got the same experience as Kim. Kept a pair a in 6 litre tank with lots of javamoss and some duckweed. Had loads of new fry all the time but I think the bigger ones ate the younger ones to some extent. So yeah, it’s an easy fish. Just keep them in soft water and feed them some good foods and you shouldn’t have any problems!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.