LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

S.t.a.m.p.s. Fish Show 31st May 2009.

Home Forums The Lounge S.t.a.m.p.s. Fish Show 31st May 2009.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Duffill 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

tdcaquatic

/rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

tdcaquatic

First time myself and Dave had ever been to STAMPS fish show and it wasnt a bad little show.Some nice fish on display and there was the usual fish auction which started at 11.30am.The bar was open and it was blazing hot.Auction wise there wasnt that many unusual fish but lots of people seemed to go away happy!

Below are some pics taken of some fish on show…

1st pic is the BEST in Show…. NOW then i am not going to tell you what this fish was entered as and what the JUDGE actually judged it as….i want people to guess…and believe me the answer is not good.

Attached files

tdcaquatic

2nd pic is also another nice fish but either the judge doesnt know his fish or maybe chooses not to be bothered..as like the first fish its really hard not to believe that people who love fish and have seen a few fish about could get this wrong….This one was shown as a ANOSTOMUS TERNETZI…Even though to 99% of people in the room…its an ANOSTOMUS ANOSTOMUS…it has red fins and slightly deeper body depth and gets bigger….But it got judged to Ternetzi ! lol

Unfortunately this type of thing either stops people showing fish or makes people who show fish disillusioned as why bother if the judges in these cases cant be bothered to even open a baensch atlas or maybe choose not to.A lot of this used to go at the southern shows but its been eradicated thank god.Not being able to identify a RARE fish 100% is one thing but in these 2 cases there is no excuse.Nuff said.

Next 7 or 8 pics are of various fish we snapped at the show…..

Attached files

tdcaquatic

Next 7 or 8 pics are of various fish we snapped at the show….

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

First one looks like a male Geophagus brasiliensis?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 2 2009, 04:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    First one looks like a male Geophagus brasiliensis?

That’s what it looks like to me as well.

Unfortunately just because judges have passed tests to become A class judges it doesn’t mean all a good judges, majority are very good and will move heaven and earth to identify fish and make sure they don’t make any mistakes but there will always be one or two that are just hopeless.

ndc
    Participant

so what did they think it was ?

tdcaquatic

Hi

Yes the fish in the first pic is a Geophagus Brasiliensis…

But this is the fish they judged it as …a Guianacara owroewefi !!! i dont think i need to make a comment!

So the Brasiliensis got judged to as one of these….

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Should have gone to spec savers

Matt
    Keymaster

I have to say I never expected that!

keith565
    Participant

hmm, one of the reasons i stopped showing last year were the number of cock ups made by judges. to be honest, if i didn’t work so many weekends i would do the judges course.
    so how did u guys do then. ehh ehh.
    oh, and many thanks for the fish, all settled in well. the dougster says and i quote ”WHERE’S THE REST OF MY FISH” unquote, and also thanks,lol

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have to admit I did enjoy it when I was judging and I did consider the possibility of joining Yorkshire and doing their judging course but we are away quite a lot of weekends throughout the year.

Unfortunately it only takes one bad judge to give them all a bad name

ndc
    Participant

how could they make that error? id understand if they mistook a guianacara for something else (the shop i sold some guianacara to that i bred last year contacted the bca to see if they new what they were (as they are undescribed) but they said they were young rams !!)but how can you mistake a brasiliensis?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

It also depends what name was put on by the owner, I have seen it done so many times were the owner will give a fish a different name hoping that the judge wont spot the error or cant be bothered.

It is amazing how far some people will go to have their fish receive better points, and by giving a fish that would get half points for size under its real name a new name so that it gets full points is a big start

tdcaquatic

Yes Mad Duff…thats exactly what happened here…the guy tried it on…put a name on the tank containing the said fish and the judge either couldnt be bothered or didnt know and just judged it to the name on the tank.,the latter is very scary!
    mind you its ok …it only won BEST IN SHOW….hehehe

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.