LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sae's Vs. Flying Fox

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sae's Vs. Flying Fox

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Green 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

For those of us who are not as knowledgable /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> I thought I would post this url to a page telling precisely how to distinguish between Crossocheilus siamensis (Siamese Algae Eaters aka SAE’s), Epalzeorhynchus kelopterus (Flying Fox’s), and a couple of others that look similar. Since I appreciate the black hair algae eating efforts of these little guys, here is the url for those interested.
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebindex/saes.htm

Bluedave
    Participant

Good article Reva.

Just to add, in my expereince the SAE only eat algae when they are young. As they get bigger they stop eating it altogether and become miserable old g!ts. They also get big (my last one was about 6″ SL) so aren’t that suitable for smaller aquariums. Brilliant at sorting out algae in mid to large tanks when they are young though.

Matt
    Keymaster

There are some errors in the article:

Gyrinocheilus aymonieri is not found in India.
    Crossocheilus siamensis has never been seen in the hobby and is probably a synonym of Epalzeorhynchos siamensis.
    – The ‘false SAE’ is not a Paracrossochilus; it is Garra cambodgiensis.

Guys have a read of our Crossocheilus profiles which contain further musings on the identity of E. siamensis and info about the group in general.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

Once you have read Matt’s excellent Seriously Fish profiles on Crossocheilus should you wish to follow the subject further then Issue 8 of The Aquarium Gazette (see The Lounge section) is a ‘must’. In this Issue we published the most comprehensive article on the fish mentioned in this post (with a small supplement, by the Author, following in Issue 9) that has, so far, been seen in the English language.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

thanks guys! See what I mean? you could correct and add to the knowledge on that site, and here I am, not being able to tell one from the other!

Bluedave
    Participant

I’ll have to have a read of the Gazette David!

Reva, it depends on the individual fish. Some I’ve had have gotten really nasty and just about stressed everything in the tank out. Others have just gotten grumpy and chased fish that get to close. My last one was in a 190 litre corner tank and he was ok, just used to let the other fish no who was boss but nothing excessive.

Reva
    Participant

Well, in the tank mine are in (190liter also) are three caves, lots of plants and no one to bully (all teeny tetras). I am setting up another tank, same size, to isolate my leopard bush fish and blue gouramis. if they turn into naughty boogers, they will find they suddenly have Large Tankmates

Chris Green
    Participant

Reva. A while back I wrote an article on the subject of trying to positively identify the various fish sold as Siamese Algae Eaters given a number of threads on a forum I moderate on. Doing the research for the article itself really opened up my eyes to the number of species that are sold as just the one species. At the time I thought there were about 3 species sold as C.siamensis but soon that was dispelled and my understanding is far, far greater.
    I have seen for myself in a number of shops where they try to pass off Garra and Gyrinocheilus species as SAE. (Quite how they do it for some of them i’ll never know..

Reva
    Participant

my hat is off to you Chris. where is the article you wrote? I would like to see it. Whatever these two little guys are, they have cleaned my anubia spotless, and have removed some really tough green algae off of the glass front….

Chris Green
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Aug 26 2009, 09:58 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    my hat is off to you Chris. where is the article you wrote? I would like to see it. Whatever these two little guys are, they have cleaned my anubia spotless, and have removed some really tough green algae off of the glass front….

Pm’d

dunc
    Keymaster

Chris we have no problems with you pasting a link to your article on here if you don’t mind everyone seeing it

Chris Green
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Aug 26 2009, 11:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Chris we have no problems with you pasting a link to your article on here if you don’t mind everyone seeing it here

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.