LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Salaria fluviatilis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Salaria fluviatilis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Luigi 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

during my holidays I tried to photograph and catch some native species in the Lago Maggiore. cobitis taenia and padogobius bonelli (syn p. martensii) would have been great. I guess there were too much movements by tourists and the water was too warm (about 25°) so these species retired in an aerea only accessible with equipement. p. bonelli seems to be very shy anyway and not to catch without eletric equipement.
    not so salaria fluviatilis: curious and abondand. it’s called “cagnetta” (“cagna”=female dog) because of it’s typical “head-up” position. a sweatwater-blenny (one of two species), changing colour according to the substrat.
    some pictures

a male with tipical “helmet”

probably a female

the shape from above

easy to catch alongside these walls covered with algae,, at least the smaller ones.

the large specimen – about 10 cm are not easy at all because of the hiding places in the bolders

I put all adult specimen back as it’s still breeding season (april-july) – some nearly black-violet males in sight – and prepared a tank of 50 lt with original substrat

only 3 cm long

about 7 cm

and some not identified guests

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh MAN I’ve been trying to find this species here in Spain for months!! Very, very cool Charles! Did you take some home then?

torso
    Participant

about a dozen.
    they are classified as “potentially endangered”=NT (despite the study in 2002=not endangered). there are plenty in this lake and in the Lake of Lugano too. on that place – 40×10 m – there were thousands. I know they are rare in France too. asthonishing is: <1° hardness, means no hardness at all. it is reported that they can adapt to saltwalter with no problems.
    more infos here
    http://e-collection.ethbib.ethz.ch/eserv/e…th-25767-01.pdf
    do you know something about the “guests”?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Where is this Charles, Italy? Very interesting fish!

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers for the paper Charles! Here in Spain it’s officially endangered and illegal to collect without a license as far as I know, and not many pristine populations remain. I’ve checked at least 6 localities where it was recorded less than 10 years ago and not found a single specimen. The Spanish authorities suggest numbers may have declined by up to 80% in the last 20 years.

torso
    Participant

swiss part of the lake, Jim
    would be nice, Matt. I have only the papers of the web

torso
    Participant

they have grown up to 7/11 cm and meet some problems with their housing.
    so I had to offer appartments of different kinds. in april the spawning season is coming and they have to move in a larger tank. the dominant male is already chasing the youngsters around

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Looking great Charles.

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 15 2011, 08:19 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looking great Charles.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are the moules the only filters??

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 16 2011, 03:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are the moules the only filters??

just little sponge filters to be on the safe side. I’ve cleaned the surface only twice since july. I think it wouldn’t be necessary, the water is always super clean. the two pictorum I lost may have even died because of the lack of food.
    cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s cool.

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 16 2011, 09:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That’s cool. /mad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:mad:” border=”0″ alt=”mad.gif” /> from time to time a give the starter liquid like for some small fry. but green water or whatever would work.

aquatax
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I want to show you some pictures of my Salaria fluviatilis:

juvenile, 3 cm TL:

adult male:

eggs:

embryo in egg:

I am searching for some interesting papers on this species. I am looking forward to share with you.

Cheers
    Michael

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ll send you what I have Michael, and very nice pictures! Can you tell us more about the breeding? Did you manage to raise fry?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.