LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Salaria fluviatilis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Salaria fluviatilis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Luigi 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

Hi all

It doesn’t happen often that a species or even a single specimen makes me sit down.

this “Lady in red” just made me.

Sneeking, hiding, coming out at the left for a short glimpse, at the right to twinkle at me. Not easy to take pics.

I never read about a red polulation, but it exists. the keeper says 2 out 100 are red. He never mentioned it before. In order not to make the collectors run: Lago di Lugano

Enjoy the first pics. First shows the Big boss. Reddish fins, slightly pink body, not a surpirse so far. A “normal” female. But this red flash …

Cheers Charles

DSC_3142.JPGDSC_3165.JPGDSC_3205.JPGDSC_3161.JPGDSC_3159.JPGDSC_3167.JPGDSC_3180.JPGDSC_3182.JPGDSC_3183.JPGDSC_3188.JPGDSC_3194.JPG

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh good grief! 😮 Does it maintain this colour permanently Charles?

Colin
    Participant

very nice :)

oaken
    Participant

Wow!

torso
    Participant

I think so, Matt.

The keeper got them last summer. He hadn’t remarked them before. But he wasn’t aware of the fact, that this could be something special either.

Here some pics of the rest too. I already knew, that they can turn the head and show some eye’s movement. But I never could get a pic to proove, that they have the ability to move their eyes independently, just an impression.DSC_3162.JPGDSC_3135.JPGDSC_3136.JPGDSC_3155.JPGDSC_3151.JPGDSC_3179.JPGDSC_3191.JPGDSC_3195.JPG

Plaamoo
    Participant

Amazing Charles!

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the new pics Charles. Just wondering if this could be down to some sort of deficiency or other pigmentation imbalance? Are the red fish wild caught?

torso
    Participant

Hi Matt

All Salaria are wild caught. M. Taxacher had some larvae. But as far as I know, he couldn’t bring them up. Communication about the subfect stopped nearly a year a year ago, I think he waits for a success to present it in a print-media. All scientist here working on the breeding, weren’ successful.

The red colouring can be seen in the large male too. Another colour: yellow. I haven’t seen pics with that either and the rest of the specimen seem to show more yellowish to me than the populations I’ve seen so far. I don’t think it depends on a deficiency or pigmentation imbalance. And I would say that the red colour is not a good strategy for surviving as Salaria are eaten by predators. The female is extremly hiding, took me two hours to get some pics. But there must be a genetic predisposition. Perhaps only in this polulation. And as the populations are seperated by large aereas with non Salaria-like beach sections …

May be I could have a closer look in situ next summer.

Cheers Charles

Just found this

http://das-grundelforum.de/keine_grundeln/neuzugange_salaria_fluvatilis_1015.0.html

Jutta just got bred specimen and 2 wild caught. MT is said to present an article in AMAZONAS this summer.

Ferrika
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    yes, Michael a not so small number of pups has raised. I got three of them females. The two males that I have are wild caught.

One of my male is very yellow. (I’ve named him “Alf”, because he looks like the guy from Melmac * g *).

Earlier, I discovered that the two larger females have great spawn. Now I’m excited! The two men courting a race. I will probably come in the next few days in the enjoyment of larvae :-)

Would like someone offsprings? *g*

Luigi
    Participant

@torso: I am trying to raise some wild salaria fluviatilis collected in the Lago di Garda and was very curious about the link to the pdf that you posted, saying it contained more info. The link does not seem to exist any longer, could you re-post it please? Thanks a lot!!

torso
    Participant

Hi Luigi

Sorry, but Matt had to fix my account after his return. No log in possible.

You are right. Jutta moved the thread. Hope this

http://das-grundelforum.de/keine-grundeln/salaria-fluviatilis-%28susswasserschleimfisch%29/

would work.

For more informations send me your e-mail. Inbox is working now.

Ciao Charles

Luigi
    Participant

Hi Charles, apologies for the late reply but all of a sudden internet explorer stopped opening the SF website (it says error 500 or something like that). I took me a month to realize that it was the browser’s problem rather than the website’s. So here I am. The Salaria are thriving in the indoor setup (22°C – tapwater). I was wondering how you got yours to spawn. Do they require a cold winter break to start spawning season? Also, what size were your sexually mature adults? Frome the pics they look larger than mine, which are 6-7 cm in length.

torso
    Participant

Hi Luigi

tapwater

That’s not helpful as parameter. In Lake Maggiore KH is about 1°. My tabwater has about 16°. I keep them at about 6-8° and go down for spawning. Of course they have no problems with harder water, but I’ve no idea, if fry would survive.

how you got yours to spawn

Nothing special. Good food, a pair, better one dominant male and several females

Do they require a cold winter break

No idea, if it’s essential. Mine got a break at about 12-13°. In the lake temperature goes down to 6-7°.  that’s the time, when food is rare and most won’t survive.

what size were your sexually mature adults

At  about 8-10 cm. Depends mor or less on the good conditioning. Living invertebrates (snails and shrimps) and frozen food.

Just a tip if you stay at the lake: two tanks of 60 litres, each divided in two compartments. filled with water from the lake (be aware of Camallanus cotti), sponge filtering for about three weeks. In the meantime you check the lake for adult males, defending a nest, get two out together with the nest (needs some attempts) and put them into a compartement in each tank. Move the fry as soon as it’s “swimming” free into the free corpartement of the same tank. Daily water changes. Feeding the fry with lake water plus pulverised dried food ( my next attempt would be with yolk powder – makes all sorts of infusoria and protozoons grow – in very small dosis; trying out at the moment with different fry).

Or see this

http://uiee.ispa.pt/ficheiros/artigos/giletal_jwas_2010.pdf

or

Salaria fluviatilis Michael Taxacher AMAZONAS 48 2013

Cheers Charles

Luigi
    Participant

thanks a lot!!! At present I am struggling against Ichthyophthirius infestation brought in by a pair of rhodeus sericeus in the tank. The water is all blue/green. As soon as I get back to nrmality I’ll post some pictures. Thanks again for the links and info!

luigi 

torso
    Participant

Hi Luigi

Be aware, that they may react fiercely to medication. Flubenol e.g. in normal dosis kills them.

Cheers Charles

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.