LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Satanoperca Pappaterra And…. ?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Satanoperca Pappaterra And…. ?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  retro_gk 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Some photos of my recent acquisitions…

Attached files

Bluedave
    Participant

Lovely fish mate, where did you get them?

Matt
    Keymaster

Which Heros sp. is it mate? Notatus? Papaterra appear to be the real deal; v. cool!

dunc
    Keymaster

Good question Mr Ford! It was sold as H. notatus (though I hasten to add the price tag didn’t quite match..

retro_gk
    Participant

Are you sure those are pappaterra? I do not recall this species having cheek spots. Do you have a country of export?

dunc
    Keymaster

What other species do you think it could be retro? Could this be the “real” jurupari?

I’ll be honest – I have what I believe to be a true pappaterra in my daemon tank. Just the one, Matt found him accidentally I think then I inherited. He’s 10″ TL now so obviously mature, with the broad black stripe on his flank… but he has no cheek spots at all. It’s literally just a matte gill plate. He’s also a very different colour to the other Satanoperca fishes in the tank, and different again to the juveniles I’ve photographed here.

There’s so little information about the Satanoperca fishes.

Unfortunately I don’t have any info on where they were from, I just know they were ordered in as jurupari but from what I “know” about jurus, they don’t have the black band even when stressed?

I can probably find out though, I’ll send an e-mail over now

dunc
    Keymaster

Oh, and, are the Heros just your standard Sevs? The colours on them outside of the heavily tannin-stained water are much more red than the photographs.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thinking back the leucosticta I gave you had the same patterning when they were small or stressed i.e. those dark markings in the dorsal half of the body…

Ps – and dood I think jurupari doesn’t have cheek spots either…

dunc
    Keymaster

Oooh it’s all fascinating. Matt do you have any journals we could use for reference?

dunc
    Keymaster

I think you’re right btw:

(Taken from westerncichlids.com.au)

That’s S. leucosticta. I think maybe the juvis I have are leucosticta, but the big one I have in my daemon tank is actually S. pappaterra?

Matt
    Keymaster

Can you get some pics of the big boy mate?

retro_gk
    Participant

Knowing the country of origin would help greatly in identification. I have a sneaky feeling both your fish are from Guyana.

Mind if I email your pics to people who might know?

dunc
    Keymaster

Nah mate I’d be delighted for you to do that, thanks.

dunc
    Keymaster

Just had a word with Michael, he’s gonna try and get in touch with his suppliers, see if they’ll let him know where they were collected.

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Matt @ Oct 13 2009, 11:20 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Can you get some pics of the big boy mate?

Yeah will get some tonight

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.