LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sawbwa Resplendens

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sawbwa Resplendens

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

This is the next species for editing. Any experiences to share? Pics are from Mike Noren and will be added to the profile.

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

they’re great pics as well mate.
    the basics are they need hard water to survive a decent hardness reading would be around 18 they prefer live food but at a pinch they will take prepared foods like flake and granules.
    the breeding ritual is very similar to harlequins in the way the male rides on the females back and the spawning itself as they lay under leaves.
    the fry are pigs to grow they take an age to get to maturity. just an example at 2 mths old they measure around 5-6 mm.

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Stunning pic’s

stusimpala

Those are great pics. I just got 8 males about a week ago. I am still trying to find some females to keep them company. I hope mine color up more, they don’t show as much blue as I’ve always seen in pictures.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers lads. I think the appearance of that blue colour has a lot to do with the way light hits the fish Stuart? I’m looking for females too as I think both the fish pictured above are male.

oaken
    Participant

You can read on his website that its an undeveloped male http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/macro_photos.htm

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah I thought I remembered seeing that when I first looked at his site but couldn’t access it yesterday for some reason. So we need a female pic…

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone have information regarding the scalation of this species? I know it’s considered to be ‘naked’ but is it completely scaleless or does it have very small scales?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

My judging notes for S.r. say:

‘Scaleless, has no lateral line, dorsal spine serrated, upper jaw is protrusible’.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers David. Some fish which are said to be scaleless actually have scales though eg. Pangio so I’m wondering if this is also the case here.

Mike has sorted us out with a pic of a female:

Attached files

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.