LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sawbwa

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

I’ve been trying to breed these chaps, and possibly a few observations can be of use for the profile, here.

Firstly, they are mop-spawners, not scatterers. They are pretty malignant egg-eaters, so my yields are very poor despite having a well-conditioned group. Temperature is very important, I had to bring down the entire fishroom to 77F (summer http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/sawbwa_fry.jpg
    The implication is that they would do better if fed often, I did it 3-4 times per day. Additional reason is that they prefer to feed in mid-water, not from the surface, and multiple feedings give them more chances to intercept the food.
    And the reason the photos are so awful is that they are transparent…very hard to spot even in empty tank.

Hopefully this is of some use.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Good info thanks.

My biggest problem with this species is finding females. I have a tank full of males just now. If anyone knows where I can get S. resplendens females can they let me know?

Matt
    Keymaster

Very good Mike, thanks a lot.

mikev
    Participant

Any time, Matt, I’m having fun with them.

Matt
    Keymaster

Mike, do you have any idea if eggs are deposited singly or in batches?

Graham, can you bel¡eve I came across a tank full of females with no males here in Barcelona this week?? Perhaps they’re sending all the girls here!

paul thompson
    Participant

QUOTE (mikev @ Aug 30 2011, 11:04 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any time, Matt, I’m having fun with them.

Colin
    Participant

yeah this came up before in a topic where TDS was being discussed – a TDS meter is a good way of showing how close to pure some water is but it cant tell you what it is that is in the water – I think yoghurt was my example lol

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 26 2011, 10:53 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like single and in very small quantities.

After three months of checking the mop daily I only have around 15 babies (with a couple of egg/fry losses at most)… the eggs are very few. I found two eggs a couple of time only…

TDS< ->gH conversion generally not possible, NaCl (salt) registers as TDS and not as gH. However for the values I gave conversion with the factor of 18 is correct (my water happens to be RO + RO mix that obeys the conversion factor and has no salt and like).

A bigger question I’d love the answer to is if it is TDS or gH that is important for fish in this or other cases. I suspect that TDS is more important, consider adding salt for livebearers or say c.eremius to simulate harder water?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 26 2011, 10:53 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Graham, can you bel¡eve I came across a tank full of females with no males here in Barcelona this week?? Perhaps they’re sending all the girls here!

My kids will be in Barcelona next week. I’ll get them to bring some back

Matt
    Keymaster

I think TDS may be important but maybe not in a generalised way e.g. the Cualac here seem to require gypsum, or at least potassium and sulphates, in the water to breed successfully, but guess this is more about the particular type of dissolved material rather than simply a ‘high TDS’ figure?

mikev
    Participant

Matt — sorry for missing the question.

They are mop spawners and I don’t know whether it is hair threads (like bows) or glue (like cories)… probably the same as with plant-spawning rasboras. No idea if they would try to spawn into the substrate when no plants are available.

One more datum: one of the oldest babies showed male markings yesterday….slight, but unmistakable, it was hatched at the very beginning of August, I unfortunately did not record the date, but under 2.5 months at around 78F-80F,…likely not fertile yet, but 4 months or less to sexual maturity now seems likely. I may put a mop into the fry tank just for the heck of it.

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Mikev, how aggressive have you found the males to be, both the adults and the youngsters? What sort of ratio of females:males have you got in your setup?

mikev
    Participant

I have not seen any aggression whatsoever…minimal threatening moves at most. I never counted the ratio… I think slightly more males than females in the adult group of 12… 7:5 or 8:4. Fry/Juveniles are very tolerant toward smaller siblings, I put new fry together with 1 month old (3:1 or 4:1 size ratio) and no losses, and no interest from the juveniles toward the newborns…

I need to mention that the tank is small (5.5g)…it is remotely possible that in a large tank they decide to set up territories and things will be more messy.

BigTom
    Participant

Holy shmoly these fry are small. Moved a trio of mine to a densely planted 25l with a mesh bottom a week ago, and just saw my first wriggler today. I thought it was a microworm at first :p

Was an initial experiment to see if I could get them spawning. Not sure if I should remove the adults now and see if any fry make it, or leave them to it.

BigTom
    Participant

Spotted a few eggs scattered around now…

Freshly laid –

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1972/sawbwaegg.jpg

And a wee video of the fry –

http://vimeo.com/tomblack/sawbwafry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.