LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sculpin, Cottus?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sculpin, Cottus?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

I was trout fishing in the local pond the other day and spied some nice plants growing up from the bottom. While trying to snag a piece with the small spoon I was using, a fish dashed out from under the rocks and hit the spoon. Caught me totally by surprise. I dangled the spoon in where it was hiding and it came out again and flashed at it, but the spoon was obviously too big to get in it’s mouth. Very intrigued as to exactly what it was i returned this morning with a small hook & a few worms and in no time I had one in the photo tank(I really need a better one!)! There were at least 2 as i had another one up & out of the water but lost it.
    I’m doing some research and leaning towards Cottus aleuticus. In all the fishing I’ve done over the years this is the first sculpin I’ve caught. It was about 4″

habitat….

Matt
    Keymaster

Beautiful! Is it a widely-distributed species Jim?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’m not finding good info from WA state. Found this from California and says Alaska-California. Accoeding to what I’ve read here http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/white/White99.pdf may be cottus asper as they prefer slower water. I’m going to try to contact a local state biologist.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.