LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Seasonal Species And Temperature

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Seasonal Species And Temperature

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mzapater 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Well it’s getting colder here (though not as cold as England I believe /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

ndc
    Participant

have you got enough space to split the aphanius? (btw have you got more than 1 pair?) if so you could put a heater in 1 and not in the other – then youd know exactly what they require – will also see if they need the cold to spawn.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve got eight Neill of which two are males. What worries me about splitting them is that the males are absolute buggers with the females so I’m told it’s best to keep them in a larger group.

ndc
    Participant

decisions , decisions. id probably let them cool in a group for a shorter period – say a month , then bring them back up to a ‘summer’ temp over a week or two to simulate spring, so that way the fish will hopefully think its been a short winter, see what they do then

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah might just try that. I do wonder a bit if fiddling with the seasonal existence of these is just a bit wrong though.

ndc
    Participant

just be a bit more patient then and leave them to get on with it. keep it as natural as possible for them and see what happens in a couple of months –

mzapater
    Participant

Hi Matt.

I had good results with Aphanius sirhani after a cold spell of about 4 weeks and then bringing them indoors.

They started breeding then at 14 ºC (although they can lay eggs at much lower temperatures), but the funny thing is that the males didn´t get breeding colours.

Never tried with A. mento though, you should ask Juan Pablo about them.

Anyway, they won´t have any problems in surviving Barcelona´s winters.

Let me know how they do.

Best regards,

Manuel…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.