LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Serian Tebedu Fish Sampling Trip With The Norwegians 28.05.10

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Serian Tebedu Fish Sampling Trip With The Norwegians 28.05.10

This topic contains 32 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  botia.org 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Stefan

QUOTE (Haji Badaruddin @ Dec 28 2010, 03:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Here’s the link Stefan http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/pola1.htm

For me they work best in the sun … for shaded or indoor i dont use them.You can get the holder which you can attach them to … But i find them a hassle to use … I prefer to hand held instead.

Many thanks Haji!

Colin
    Participant

Thanks for the links – once i am solvent from xmas again I will go down the Chimaira route

cheers

Matt
    Keymaster

Amazing pics! Haji is that last habitat the place where you found B. taeniata?

Cheapest place to buy Dr. Tan’s book is direct from the publisher. Mine took about a fortnight to arrive.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Dec 29 2010, 02:37 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Many thanks Haji!

Pleasure mine < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing pics! Haji is that last habitat the place where you found B. taeniata?

Thanks Matt.You can get B. taeniata in most of the lower part of the place including the one in the last pic … But the best ones are on the upper part of the waterfall.There’s plenty where the water is cooler and the place is inaccessible to many

Stefan

It’s a real shame that a species like taeniata, that’s among the oldest in the genus, is so sporadically seen in the hobby. As a matter of fact; I don’t think they currently reside in Europe alltogether. Could you tell something about its status in the wild Haji? Are they safe, or endangered, or…?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Stefan,

Lately there seems to be a few trade inquiries about this fish … even among the local hobbyist.As far as i know there’s still plenty of this fish around.Like i said earlier its just a matter of knowing where to look

The old school way of catching the B. taeniatas

A local Bidayuh boy who follows me in some of my trip.

Shrimps ~ the water at the waterfall average around 24C.The water is crystal clear … lots of leaf litter by the banks of the stream.

Photos of the shrimp and fish is the unedited version … straight from the cam.

Stefan

Excellent and good to know Haji. So you drive the fish in the direction of the net with your hand?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Yup … but some are really clever … They simply swim away or take refuge in the deeper area.

I prefer using the fishing method … much easier:-)

Stefan

Fishing method – as in hook and line? I know they collect the bigger species like that quite often (locals, I mean).

Matt
    Keymaster

I’m guessing seine/dip net or a car battery with two bits of wire attached lol.

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 31 2010, 11:12 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’m guessing seine/dip net or a car battery with two bits of wire attached lol.

You know those guys from the Discovery channel for animal protection? Those muscled biker fellows wearing chains and stuff? Yeah. Look out your window Matt…

It could be by seine, yeah. The Betta renata type series (or at least part of it) was collected by hook and line.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Stefan @ Dec 31 2010, 11:41 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You know those guys from the Discovery channel for animal protection? Those muscled biker fellows wearing chains and stuff? Yeah. Look out your window Matt…

Nah they’re there every Friday, and they certainly ain’t from the Discovery channel. Ahem…

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 31 2010, 12:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nah they’re there every Friday, and they certainly ain’t from the Discovery channel. Ahem… /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Yeah it’s a much used method the locals, when collecting the bigger species.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Prefer the hookless fishing method 🙂 The best thing about wild betta is that once they bite the worm they wouldnt let go /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Some one called me a few years ago to sell the electric shock machine to stun the fish … If i m not mistaken a few of our collector & researcher friends are using this /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> Having set up a few along a stream,all i do is just sit back and enjoy a cuppa and my fag … 10 mins that is all it takes

Stefan

Thanks Haji; that’s very informative. So basically you can collect some Betta because they won’t let go of the worm and then you can just lift them from the water. Might be handy for at home catching.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.