LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia elongata

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sewellia elongata

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  torso 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

The.Dark.One

These were seen today labelled as S. elongata (sorry for the poor photos):

Plaamoo
    Participant

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Jan 16 2011, 07:29 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They look like mine seen here.

Hi, yes they appear to be the same

torso
    Participant

yes, in any case it looks exactly like the species picture of s. elongata in DATZ 2003 by J Freyhof. no picture in the revision in 2000.
    the species with the yellow bordered paired fins shown by Kamphol in Amazonas-Magazin mai/june 2010 is different in patterns too. and what is irritating: the pictures of the holotype in ROBERTS revision (1998) show the species of Kamphol, not “our” elongata.

mikev
    Participant

1cm fry of the above species:

Sorry for the quality of the photo, the fry is mostly hiding and its presence was noticed only today

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Congrats Mike

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice work Mike.

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 15 2011, 05:36 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice work Mike.

Menu
    Participant

Nice looking fry Mike, looks exactly like a small S. lineolata.
    I have a question, how big are the adults?
    Until now my specimens make no signs of a courtship.

Menu
    Participant

Oh I see you’re pre-empted me

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Is there any possibility that this could be from another loach Mike, I know you have bred other species so could an egg have been transferred or left in the tank ?

I only ask because as you say the adults are still small and the fry so big for 1 month which would mean that this would be the fastest growing fry.

Just being devil’s advocate really as I know you have had a fair bit of sucess with hillies and many others

mikev
    Participant

Your suspicions are warranted, I’m having the same thoughts right now.

The only contamination chance is that the sponge filter came from a tank that has Lineolata in it. I never had any fry from those lineolata’s due to their tankmates and filteration…. but I guess an egg could have been in the filter, even although I cleaned it extensively… this would mean a lineolata growing from an egg to 1cm within the same month.

Let me try to take a good photo of the baby when I see it again. I believe that the pattern on the front half of the body is different (lineolata==more mottled).

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good stuff Mike! Hope it’s an elongata. Since we both got them from the same place at the same time, maybe I’ll have some fry when I get home??

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Feb 16 2011, 01:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good stuff Mike! Hope it’s an elongata. Since we both got them from the same place at the same time, maybe I’ll have some fry when I get home??

Jim, I hope you do, but I’m getting more suspicious that this may be a S.lineolata (filter transplant) after all. The pattern on the front part of the body matches too, and our fish is juvenile (albeit I did see courting behavior already).

I’m unable to take good photos of this fry for now… it will not come out when the tank lights are on, and it will not approach the front of the tank either…

mikev
    Participant

I have to withdraw the claim, sorry !

The fry developed into a S.lineolata…. contamination from the moved filter. So much for the excitement….

Maybe I’ll have something new to show yet, this little chap was found in another tank yesterday:

The ID is not certain yet, the tank has two Pseudogastromyzon species and one Vanmanenia sp, could be any of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.