LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia IDs

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kim m 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

kim m
    Participant

So, not to make too confusion in my other thread I thought it would be good to start a new one specifically about IDing my newly purchased ones…

This was imported as “breviventralis” via Ruinemans in Holland. I find the very close to pictures of SEW04.

type1-2.JPG

type1-3.JPG

type1-4.JPG

type1-5.JPG

type1-6.JPG

type1.JPG

kim m
    Participant

Second one, also from the batch with “breviventralis”. I am not shure what this is. There were only 2 and they were bigger and paler than the others.

type2-2.JPG

type2-3.JPG

type2.JPG

kim m
    Participant

Third from “breviventralis”…seems like SEW03 to me:

type3-2.JPG

type3-3.JPG

type3.JPG

kim m
    Participant

SEW01? Seems there is a bit difference between the specimens (small lines vs. spots). I photographes 3 different ones from different angles.type4-2.JPG

type4-3.JPG

type4-4.JPG

type4-5.JPG

type4-6.JPG

type4-7.JPG

type4-8.JPG

kim m
    Participant

Boight as Sewellia marmorata. Seems OK?marmorata-2.JPG

marmorata-3.JPG

marmorata-4.JPG

marmorata-5.JPG

marmorata-6.JPG

marmorata.JPG

mikev
    Participant

Sew04 in the first post, Sew02 == Sew03 in the second and third post.

(Incidentally, “breviventralis” shipments usually have mostly Sew02=03 and few of Sew04…. You want more of 02=03 since they can be bred… 04 so far is unbreedable.)

In the fourth post: probably Sew01, but do seem just a bit different. The 2nd photo shows a fish with light head — this is almost certainly a disease, bacterial.

Marmorata seems marmorata.

kim m
    Participant

Last but not least; I had a tank with the remains of a S. lineolata breeding group that I wanted to stock up…but the new ones are a bit different from theold ones. As these Sewellia clearly isn’t as straight forward to ID as I had hoped, I wanted to include these in the thread to get an opinion…two “typical” specimens of old and new origin:

lineolata-2.JPG
    lineolata-3.JPG
    lineolata-4.JPG
    lineolata-5.JPG
    lineolata-6.JPG

kim m
    Participant

@mikev said:

Sew04 in the first post, Sew02 == Sew03 in the second and third post.
    (Incidentally, “breviventralis” shipments usually have mostly Sew02=03 and few of Sew04…. You want more of 02=03 since they can be bred… 04 so far is unbreedable.)
    In the fourth post: probably Sew01, but do seem just a bit different. The 2nd photo shows a fish with light head — this is almost certainly a disease, bacterial.

Thanks Mike.

I have 9 of each type if the big pale one I didn’t have an idea about and the third are the same. I emptied the tank in the shop 😉

Regarding the SEW01 – I will do a “group shot” from above before releasing them into the breeding tank (sometime this week).

mikev
    Participant

Regarding Sew01: I’d treat the group. Pale head is a bad symptom.

This is inaccurate but the author is correct that this is serious. and may wipe out the entire group.

Minocycline may or may not work, but it is a good choice for the first antibiotic to try.

kim m
    Participant

@mikev said:

Regarding Sew01: I’d treat the group. Pale head is a bad symptom.
    This is inaccurate but the author is correct that this is serious. and may wipe out the entire group.
    Minocycline may or may not work, but it is a good choice for the first antibiotic to try.

Monocycline/Tetracycline and other antibiotics are very difficult to get hold of in EU, even if you go to a vet. JBL Furanol 2 is the best I can do (even illegal in Denmark, but have some from before all that was banned). It works for Corydoras which are fairly sensitive, so might be OK for Sewellia too.

mikev
    Participant

Furan2 is often helpful with hillstreams and seems somewhat similar to Furanol 2. Worth trying.

kim m
    Participant

Any thoughts on the lineolatas? Just differences within the species?

Good article you linked BTW!

olly
    Participant

Yes, different populations of lineolatas have differences in color.

mikev
    Participant

As these Sewellia clearly isn’t as straight forward to ID as I had hoped,

Hmm…. actually Sewellia’s are about the easiest hillstream genus to ID 😛

Good article you linked BTW!

not really… the author is mistaken that this condition is always a bacterial disease, and also that it is always minocycline-treatable. But no argument that this is a bad sign.

torso
    Participant

Mikev said

“not really… the author is mistaken that this condition is always a bacterial disease, and also that it is always minocycline-treatable. But no argument that this is a bad sign.”

I agree, Mikev. That’s why in import-stations there is always a diagnosis first.

@ Kim

As for the situation in EU:

http://www.manaus-aquarium.com/trichosal.php

is a good choice. Available in EU. Best stuff on the market at the moment. As for all fish with completely/partly lacking scales: tight controlling of the effects.

Cheers Charles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.