LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia marmorata

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sewellia marmorata

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  torso 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Superb pics Charles and very, very nice fish! I will try to revise Sewellia profiles soon.

Have wondered about the purpose of those metallic spots in Sewellia before. Do the fish intensify in colour when breeding? Do they tend to spawn at a particular time of day?

torso
    Participant

Give me more time. Matt. they just arrived Laugh

It seems, they don’t change when spawning

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/freshwater-and-brackish-water-fishes/the-spawning-of-sewellia-lineolata/

My pics of S. speciosa spawning show the pair from the ventral side.

One at the beginning of the act

CSC_7730.jpg

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

Some pics of my small ones, of course no comparison with Charles, but the markings are very similar to adult already.1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

group.jpg

torso
    Participant

olly
    Participant

Sewellia marmorata reminds me Beaufortia sp. in a body shape (especially their head). If I’m not mistaken, and they are really close evolutionarily with beaufortias, it is likely to be expected difficulties in breeding of. S.marmorata in the tank like in the case with beaufortias.

Has someone already got S.marmorata fry in the tank?

torso
    Participant

Sewellia SEW 02 were more efficient lately in a identic tank-set. I don’t think, S. marmorata is different in spawning. Saw some attempts, but no offspring as for SEW 02.

olly
    Participant

Hi Charles! It is well that mormorates are trying to spawn. We will hope for a successful event and wait for it.Smile

Mine are only chaising each other and that’s all.

torso
    Participant

Hi

Just noted first fry of S. marmorate, about 11 mm long.

DSC_8161.JPG

DSC_8160.JPG

DSC_8140.JPG

CSC_8163.JPG

CSC_8102.JPG

DSC_8139.JPG

Pattern is different to other Sewellia fry at this age (about 4 weeks)

Cheers Charles

Plaamoo
    Participant

Great job Charles!

olly
    Participant

Hi Charles!

You are the first who bred Sewellia marmorata in the captivity. And now the photos of eggs from the spawning on November 4, 2016, prolarva on November 6 and today’s photo of larva of my Sewellia marmorata.Sewellia-marmorata-eggs1.jpg

Sewellia-marmorata-eggs123.jpg

Sewellia-marmorata-prolarva12.jpg

Sewellia-marmorata-larvae16days-after-spawning1234.jpg

How are your Sewellia marmorata fry doing now?

torso
    Participant

Hi Olly

That’s great to see. How do you breed them? Coconut-style? Confused

Seems, they do spawn greater quantities?

Mine seem to do well, but actually I’m moving household, atelier, storage places and soon breeding room. So there’s not much time to watch.

Cheers Charles

olly
    Participant

Hi Charles!

Thank you!

Good luck with the move!

I think that there were more than 90 eggs. Here is the most part of them at this pic (about 70). Most of them are not fertilized or were not survived. Size is about 1 mm. Only two females are in my group of S.marmorata. It is likely that all of these eggs are from the spawning of the one female. She was greatly swollen and excited with unusual behaviour in the morning of that day. Another female was thin, and I think (but  I cannot be sure) she was not involved into spawning. It is likely the egg productivity of a one sewellia is pretty high.

S-marmorata-eggs.jpg

Fry have great appetite, but grow very-very slowly.

olly
    Participant

@torso said:
    How do you breed them?

I did nothing special. A year ago S.marmorata were young, now one female became gravid. That is great that parents were synchronized. I did not see their spawning (only gravid excited female in the morning and later eggs and dominant male with high frequency of breath and high heart rate), and I was not sure that eggs were fertilized. But fry appeared 🙂

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good stuff Olly! How do you spot the eggs in the substrate?

Charles, I hope the move goes well. Moving is a special nightmare for us fishkeepers!

olly
    Participant

Thank you Jim!

I think I returned at home at the moment of the end of S.Marmorata spawning. The eggs were still on the substrate (the first picture above), and they were not eaten yet. I guess that the light in the tank interrupted the spawning. The Sewellia’s eggs are very adhesive and they were glued to the substrate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.