LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia numbering yet again.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sewellia numbering yet again.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  olly 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Two things:

Looking at S. albisuera profile it strikes me that photo #1 and photo #5 (which likely shows the same fish) appear to be Sew01, variation with reflective areas. Suspicions about this photo were raised before on the forum, but at the time I was not yet aware of the existence of the reflective variation.

Perhaps the reflective variation should be added to the profiles (suggested name: Sew01R, to indicate it may be a variant of the same species), and these photos moved there?

Secondly….

Wetspot (the largest importer in the US) asked me to comment on their Sewellia shipment…. specifically they wanted to tell Sew02 from Sew03…. well, I could alert them to the likely presence of Sew04 in the shipment (sure they were there), but as for their question naturally I could offer no solution… I personally believe that unless we have a clear way to tell 2 from 3, there should not be two entries.
    Wetspot decided to label them Sew03 all…. they could have equally called them all Sew02 … we don’t know the difference!

BTW, they did manage to screw this up further… after saying they understood Sew0203 vs Sew04 and looking at my and SF photos their article on the new fish had photos of Sew0203 both for the Sew03 listing and the Sew04 listing.wssew03.jpg

wssew04.jpg

the “Sew04” photo is strange…

Needless to say they screwed up my order too :( :( :( but none of the Sew04 I got looks quite like this.

hillstr21
    Participant

Interesting. This one was labeled sewellia “SEW04” and also bought from Wetspot:

DSC_0427-2.JPG

Not even sure on the ID. The “SEW03” was the funny looking one and was not any of the photos they had.

mikev
    Participant

It is an 0203.
    They have difficulties telling 03 from 04.

hillstr21
    Participant

Did the other one happen to look like this one too?

DSC_0421.JPG

When I asked them about the species, I was told it was a mix of three different ones. I think for now, I will just call them sewellia sp.

mikev
    Participant

The last photo is a Sew04. As a guess, female.

I do not think there are three species there albeit their 2nd photo (see first post on this thread) is intriguing. Possibly just older Sew02/03, possibly something new.

Matt
    Keymaster

Mike, I agree re. Sewellia 02/03; think they are the same and will amend asap. Maybe SEW01 is just S. albisuera and there are several colour forms? I will try to get an official opinion on this.

P.S. I didn’t realise we were influencing trade names! Unsure if good or bad at present.

mikev
    Participant

Maybe SEW01 is just S. albisuera and there are several colour forms? I will try to get an official opinion on this.

It is probably a cluster that includes S. albisuera, Sew01 and Sew01R . We can tell them apart, but if they are all the same species or quite different one would not know until someone did the DNA testing, and even then there may be different opinions. That Sew01 is quite breedable and I have not heard about Sew01R being bred may be an accident or point to some real differences.

P-S- I didn’t realise we were influencing trade names! Unsure if good or bad at present.

I may be a bit guilty here, I sent them to SF profile several times, and probably plaamoo did too.

Good thing IMHO, when vendors provide links to SF it brings more people this way.

BUT: this means be more careful with things you cannot defend they got really confused over Sew02/03. And when you delete Sew03 profile (as you should imho), you will confuse them even more!

Oh, as a joke: feel like really influencing names? How about calling Erromyzon Red Spots (Er01 I think) Erromyzon rubromaculatus? The namei is fitting and correct Latin-wise. :P

Plaamoo
    Participant

“Good thing IMHO, when vendors provide links to SF it brings more people this way.”

Agree, and yes, I am also guilty. Many times :) Some times they listen and sometimes not. I wish they’d fix that “Tweedie’s hillstream loach homaloptera” listing! Homa

mikev
    Participant

This one: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishl&1414600809

I told them too. I even had Anthony check that they actually do not have any fish like on the photo. But fixing the listing… forget it, so difficult :(

Plaamoo
    Participant

That’s the one. Fortunately they sold out of “Borneo sucker loach gastromyzon myersi” :)

mikev
    Participant

Don’t you worry about that, they will get it again and use the same name and photo…..

Not the first time.

Matt
    Keymaster

I think we can get away with using numbers but feel it would be irresponsible to start giving things scientific names. We need to be careful. SEW03 will shortly bite the dust when I arrive to Sewellia – currently working my way through this and updating the relevant profiles.

mikev
    Participant

I did say that was a joke. But tempting. :P

torso
    Participant

Hi all

Can log in again, thanks Matt.

The problem with the importers is well known. The actual shippments are mixed anyway: the “new” species, Sewellia SEW04, Sewellia SEW02 and 03, Sewellia breviventralis (the real one) and subadult Sewellia elongata (?) inclusive.

In a mixed tank I couldn’t tell them apart by the pattern. Seems to become a problem when they are adult. And more: just saw a specimen yesterday which looked like the newly sold species – Sewellia breviventralis at Glaser’s, shown above.

I remember a remark by J. Freyhof: SEW01 – sp. “spotted” is not albisurea.

So what conclusions? I have restarted, seperating fry out of the mixed tank. Adult should be follow soon, trying so separate 02/03. And of course the new ones coming in tomorrow.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Good stuff Charles, glad it is working now.Smile What is your opinion of SEW02/03?

Mike, apologies – hadn’t noticed the ‘joke’ part!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.