LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sex determination in Cyprinids (Sawbwa)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sex determination in Cyprinids (Sawbwa)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Anyone has any references to help with it per chance?

I’m having problems with Sawbwa…. about to lose my group… well, this will take several more years, but the problem is already obvious: I cannot breed almost any females, it is >95% males and given that the eggs are very few and the original females are getting old, the doom is coming. :(

The last two babies, raised at tds=150/ph=7.1 (both are low for Sawbwa, should be female biased, plus unheated tank — again, should be female biased?) turned out to be a pair … big male and small male. :( So, what parameters should I try playing with now?

Yeah, I can surely buy more but this is cheating…..

BigTom
    Participant

Hmm, not sure really mikev. I seemed to get a decent mix of sexes with 18-20 degrees C, pH 7.4, 170ppm.

Actually in my original post I stated pH8.4, but I think that might be a typo… definitely raising the pH seems like the most obvious avenue to try.

mikev
    Participant

I think raising the pH creates more males? (At least in rainbows it does).

Lucky you!

BillT
    Participant

Many zebrafish sex determination molecular components have been recently. Recently, it was discovered that most lab lines of ZF have messed by sex determination mechanisms due to inadvertent selection when they were “domesticated” for lab use.Let me know if you are interested in that, but I’m guessing not.

Even within the cyprinids there are a lot of fish, probably with a lot of differences.

Three common husbandry factors in sex determination include (but not limited to): temperature, stress (from various causes), and social group interactions.

Normally, some species will have all or partial sex determination based on their genetics, some will be almost all environmentally determined.

Matt
    Keymaster

Perhaps species occurring in very specific environments, such as Sawbwa, might be among those particularly affected by environmental conditions?

mikev
    Participant

Most probably… I was hoping for some specific suggestions like changing pH, temp or hardness in a certain way.
    Experimenting is not a very attractive idea since the eggs are few and I’m afraid to breed yet more males :(shoot.gif

Matt
    Keymaster

I will send a paper over, Mike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.