LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sexing Rams

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mickthefish 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dave S
    Participant

Hello I’ve fully stocked my tank now, and have got 2 blue rams. Think they’re both the same sex, but not sure which one! Looked at the photos here and how to ID them, but am struggling.

Attached files

Dave S
    Participant

Second photo:

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

about the gouramis look at the dorsal fin…male’s is definetly longer, wouldn’t suggest keeping them both if they’re male, but if they’re a pair or 2 females, I’d suggest lots of cover, and they should settle down. sorry can’t help about the rams, never kept them

mickthefish
    Participant

your’e spot on Dave, both females mate.
    the males are real gaudy looking, larger fins and no red on the flanks.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Yep two females. That red spot on the belly is the giveaway. I’m surprised as you don’t see females on sale that often. Loving that pop art second pic!

ndc
    Participant

its funny but lately all you see is females, in the past females were like rocking horse you know what, now all of the ones ive seen from the czech rep and asia are females. could be that theyve finally cracked breeding them en masse and are now able to only send out females, does any one know if this species develop as males or females depending on temp when they are spawned?

Dave S
    Participant

Thanks again guys!

Andy Warhol eat your heart out on that second photo eh! Not sure what happened there.

Got to say I really like the Rams, and how they interact, etc. Would it be safe to get a couple more or should I stick at 2? I was thinking about getting a male or would this upset the balance? Read somehere on ‘ere about 3 chiclids being a bad number.

Getting some Amazon frogbit today, so see if the gourami’s are happier once that’s in there.

mickthefish
    Participant

it will be OK to get some more Dave, i once had a tank with 10 adult male rams in, they had little bouts of sparring but no damage was ever done.
    it’s very rare that this fish causes damage even in fights, it’s more shove and shunt battles.

mick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.