LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Shifting Acaras

Home Forums The Lounge Shifting Acaras

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sirkus 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Sirkus

Hey all!

Isn’t this a nice swanky new site!

I’m going to be moving soon and so have to set down at least one of my tanks (3 currently). Ive managed to decide that the 130l must go (got loads of plants in, plus Laetacara dorsiger, ottos, brochis, and a few other fish). the tanks that i also have and which the fish must b able to settle into are;
    70l overgrown puffer tank with endlers, fan shrimp, pango eels, and a couple of frogs (quite a mix)
    or the other is the 4ft with Ctenopoma spp. (one big one – 4″+ and a few at 2″), 3 bumblebee cats, a few caeruleus babies (1.5″), 2 reedfish (14″), and a meanass bristlenose!

the 4ft is soon to have 3 Steatocranus tinanti as its really well structured for that with loads of wood and rocks for hiding.

My question is what are peoples thoughts on adding 3 dorsiger acaras? o and also 2 pairs of Kribs!!!

The smaller tank should be able to accomodate the other fish i mentioned in the 130l for now.

Kris

Matt
    Keymaster

I recognise that username! Welcome to SF Kris L. caeruleus be in the same tank?

Cheers

Matt

Sirkus

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 25 2007, 07:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I recognise that username! Welcome to SF Kris Channa bleheri died a month or so back, had a wipe out of a few and unfortunately the Crenicichla notophthalmus died too)

The L. caeruleus will be in the same tank but only until they get too boisterous, then they go back into the big malawi tank (350l) downstairs. im hoping to get either juveniles or adult kribs soon, not really picky on which. The Steatocranus tinanti are adults and currently at a friends where they dont bother with the large blue acaras (which have bred several times), Geopagus brasiliensis, rather angry gouramies, and plenty of placid fish too like guppies.

Hopefully the S.tinanti and Pelvicachromis pulcher will be together indefinitely with the rest of the fish i mentioned above in the 4ft tank. however i think there may be a lil bit of a turf war between these 2 even though the tank is full of hiding places and lots of piled up bogwood.

That help?

dunc
    Keymaster

Hey Kris! S. tinanti naturally occur in fast flowing streams and rivers, whereas P. pulcher naturally occur in still or slow moving waters.

Probably not possible in your current situation but try and get the tinanti in a fast-flowing river setup – they’re an amazing fish to watch.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes that’s one of my concerns too. The L. dorsigera are also a still water fish, so really you’re mixing species from two totally different environments. This in itself might not be a major problem as the Steatocranus will survive if you just keep the water well-oxygenated. However as Dunc said, rheophilic species are generally much more interesting to watch when kept in a biotope set-up in my opinion. Dunc, lmao by the way, You’ve linked to the incomplete humphead glass fish profile L. dorsigera are also pretty shy wee fish and will likely be out-competed if territorial battles do break out. I’ve not kept Steatocranus but I know one of our other staff members has bred S. casuarius, so maybe he can enlighten us as to how nasty they are when spawning?

God what a rant! Sorry but as I’m sure you know, mixing cichlids is often a complicated business. Plus you did ask L. caeruleus would be ok for a short while. The kribs and Steatocranuswould probably coexist without too much trouble over the long term. Personally I’d leave out the Laetacara but of course, we can only offer advice. The choice is yours. Plus the unholiest mixtures of fish can sometimes work fine. If you do try it, I’d strongly recommend observing the tank as much as possible for the first few weeks in case any of them need rescuing.

If it were up to me I’d keep the S. Tinanti, leave out the rest, add a pair or trio of another rheophilic African cichlid such as Lamprologus congoensis, some African tetras and a Synodontis brichardi or two. I’d then furnish the tank as a fast-water biotope with plenty of smooth rocks and lots of flow.

Edit: Dunc please rid us of these horrible msn emoticons

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 26 2007, 03:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Dunc, lmao by the way, You’ve linked to the incomplete humphead glass fish profile < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Edit: Dunc please rid us of these horrible msn emoticons /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Sirkus

I’ve got some breaking news, it seems that i won’t be able to put the dorsigera in anyways, they’ve bred! I’ve noticed they’re not the greatest parents, often both going for food at the same time then upon return to the eggs noticing that many have disappeared, then they look at each other as if to say ‘i thought you were looking after them?’ lol. The eggs are all gone now which im assuming is just down to them just being new parents. So i think maybe acaras will have to stay put after all or possibly moving to a slow flow tank like the puffers (still going to have to lose some fish though

Matt
    Keymaster

Congrats Kris! Only one thread and a member is spawning stuff already

Sirkus

I’m not one for hybridising, but seeing a krib with colours the same intensity as a L. caeruleus would be spectacular! (not so much hybridising, more just dreaming lol) i think it would definitely be a fish to raise the benchmark at any show!

dunc
    Keymaster

Lol Kris…

Sirkus

Great News!!!! my parents have given me a decent deal where by i have to get rid of both my tropiquariums and get my sisters old tank which she was going to have to get rid of anyways. her tank is 180l! which is almost both tanks put together! i dont think my mam has realised what shes done haha. now i just need to decide on what to put in it… on top of the fish i have as some will have to go like the puffers… (shall i start a new thread?)

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah mate, new thread /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

andrew
    Participant

Always happy to see people maximising their tank allocation – lots of scope for nice things in a 180l!

Just noticed the reference to s. casuarius breeding above. I wouldn’t say they are terribly agressive when breeding, as such, but they do defend their territory vigorously. Mine bred in a four footer, with a mix of other fish and there was no carnage, but they did keep the other fish away. Gradually, all the fry got scoffed though, i presume at night when the cats were more active.

They are not exclusive substrate spawners though. Mine bred in different places, including the most successful spawn, which was in a hollow in some bogwood, about 8″ off the aquarium floor!

Sirkus

Ahhh thanks for the info Andrew! il post the rest of the stuff in a new thread about the 180l tank so far.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.