LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Shrimp!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Has anyone produced a decent book on the shrimp species that seem to have exploded into the hobby of late? Had a list from a supplier saying they’re about to start stocking :-

CRYSTAL RED SHRIMP £2.99
    ASST. BABAULTI SHRIMP £2.89
    BLUE BEE SHRIMP £1.95
    HONEY BEE SHRIMP £1.95
    WHITE LINE SHRIMP £1.95
    BLUE TIGER SHRIMP £4.99
    YELLOW CHEEK RED SHRIMP £8.99
    HARLEQUIN SHRIMP £8.99
    CARDINAL SHRIMP £8.99
    SIX BANDED BLUE SHRIMP £12.99
    RED ORCHID SHRIMP £8.99

Annoyingly there are no latin names. But some look amazing.

keith565
    Participant

wow, a great selection of shrimps there and some good prices. from experience,keep away from the harlequins untill you have more shrimp experience. they are very hard to keep.
    i know of no recent book covering the new shrimps but there is lots of info on a few shrimp forums including one in the UK.

Jarcave
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

They’re trade prices. You have to order a minimum of 10 + VAT mind. I quite liked the look of those as well! What makes them difficult? Just curious.

keith565
    Participant

from what i learned having them and from friends on the shrimp community it’s mainly water values and temp. the like a high temp of 80+ and a ph of around 8 but soft water, but there are conflicting stories as to what the like and food seems an interesting thought, some peeps think the harlequins coming into the shops are the true cardinia Sponicola rather than the cf Sponicola, the true Sponicola needing a sponge to feed of the algae that grows on them. i’m not sure mine didn’t suffer a prolem with delivery as they were quite cold when they arrived, so this might have been a contributing factor.
    even with VAT, prices are not bad at all on all the shrimps you listed.
    some info off uk shrimps forum,
    Hard-Very hard water
    A pH of about 8
    A temperature of about 28 degrees centigrade
    A tank with plenty of rocks
    No real need for plants (where they come from plants are sparse)
    Sulawesi shrimp are said to be more comfortable when kept with sulawesi snails
    hope this helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.