LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Shrimp Questions

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Shrimp Questions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jarcave 9 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

OK I’ve never kept freshwater shrimps before. I have a small tank with hard alkaline water in with some Limias and lots of plants. What would be a good shrimp for me to introduce? And does anyone have any tips for keeping and breeding them?

Jared

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve only kept cherry shrimp which were dead easy but not sure how well they’d do in very alkaline conditions? This thread may also help. I’m sure Richy or Keith will have some better advice too.

keith565
    Participant

yup, i keep and breed my cherry shrimp in normal tap water which is hard, very hard. they should be ok with the limias, but you won’t get many shrimplets as the limias will eat them. if you don’t want to breed them, there should be no problems keeping them. they eatmost foods and are great for keeping algae down.
    i got loads going cheap if you want some.

Richy
    Participant

if you do decide you want to breed shrimps then i suggest a seperate tank with just a sponge filter or a small powerfilter with the vents blocked off with matting, this however needs replacing every so often as it blocks. Sponge filter better option /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

I’d opt for Amano’s or red cherries as a good starter aslong as the cherries arn’t too small for the limia’s mouth /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> These need salty setups to breed and it’s been very unsuccessful in the captive breeding programs. Totally peacful shrimps and very enjoyable to watch

Hope this helps a little

ulster exile

That fan shrimp is beautiful! I like watching my amano’s and cherries (and echo Richy’s comments about covering the filter inttakes since my two externals have to have the baby cherries emptied from it every so often.

Jarcave
    Participant

Cheers for the replies guys. Been working away, hence the late reply.

Will have a look at some pics. Keith, I’ll be in touch soon.

Author
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.