LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sick Fish, Eggs And Fungus?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sick Fish, Eggs And Fungus?

This topic contains 68 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sofia 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Sofia

Hi there,

it’s me again

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

i’m afraid it looks like white spot.
    this can be caused by a number of factors, from a sudden change in temp to stress and the addition of new fish.
    i use WS3, it is, as far as i am concerned, the best treatment on the market and lasts an awful long time.
    up the tank temp to around 82-84F for the duration of the treatment, this shouldn’t harm the fish, remove any charcoal from the filters and keep lights off as far as is possible.
    follow the instructions and if you have any scaleless fish, IE- loaches, elephant nose, naked catfish types, i believe you use half strength. the treatment is also toxic to snails and shrimps.
    as for the eggs, looks like snail eggs to me, nothing to worry about. not sure about pic one, could it be some dried plant leaf on the glass?

Sofia

Thank you Keith.

Can you tell me what WS3 is? Who manufacturs it, etc.? I don’t think it’s on Aquacadabra’s stock list though. I did find Protozine though, so i guess i could fall back on that.

I added the bumblebees on Wednesday, so they might be the cause.

I don’t have scaleless fish

Eyrie
    Participant

WS3 is the King British white spot treatment (see bottom of this page). Protazin has a good reputation though.

Personally I’d start by doing a water change including a thorough gravel vac. Then increase the temperature a little further, to 86F. Ich reproduces faster at higher temperatures and since it is only vulnerable in the free swimming stage of its lifecycle this increases the number of times that the medication can act. Remember also that there is less dissolved oxygen in warmer water, so increasing the surface agitation by angling the filter outlet up or by adding an airstone is a good idea. Melafix won’t affect the white spot itself, but does help heal the wounds that the spots leave and is safe to use at the same time as a medication.

It’s important to complete the course of treatment even if the spots appear to be gone sooner, and it may be necessary to repeat the entire course if they haven’t all cleared up. Last time I had ich (well, one of my tanks did!) I was using the Interpet treatment and needed to do two courses.

Sofia

Thanks Eyrie.

I have Guppies, Platies and other fish in the tank and I don’t know if I can increase the temperature this much without harming them.

I am on my way out now to get the medication and might start with protozine if they don’t have WS3.

Thanks

dunc
    Keymaster

Protozin is unbeatable, IME.

Sofia

Ok, I have added 4ml of Protozine (as stated) to my tank now.
    It states on the bottle that it is a 4 day course? Should i still use it for 7?

Does anyone know if it would still be save to up the temperature to 86F?

I have Platies, Guppies, Rams, Bumblebee Gobies, Harlequins, Sparkling Gouramis and Neons.

Thanks

dunc
    Keymaster

It’s a 7 day course.. I think you add it on day 1, 2, 3 and 6? or something? Just do whatever it says “on the tin”

Sofia

I did read that but to me that’s 4 days

keith565
    Participant

increase the temp to 80, see how the fish are after a day, if all seems ok try 84.

Sofia

My Tank temperature is always 81F

keith565
    Participant

yes, that should be fine for the fish, but keep an eye on them, they may need a bit of extra oxygen as the temp rises ( increased temp forces oxygen out of the water).

Sofia

I do have an airstone in that runs day and night too. I could add a second airpump and air stone in if need be.

Thanks for all the help.

Matt
    Keymaster

My advice would be to keep an eye on the fish and if you see them gasping hook up the second airpump. That first pic is confusing me too, my first thought was hydra but the more I look the more it isn’t. Can you try to get a more detailed close-up Sofia? One final thing, no more new fish for a while ok?

Sofia

I promise!

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.