LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sick Fish, Eggs And Fungus?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sick Fish, Eggs And Fungus?

This topic contains 68 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sofia 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Are both of your rams in the pics above or just one of them?

Sofia

Just one. Will get a picture of each of them for you

Sofia

Here are the pictures of the second Ram. He/she is not keen on getting out of the grotto

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Two boys indeed

Sofia

Thanks for that

Matt
    Keymaster

I usually reduce feeding a bit and hold off on water changes while the tank is being dosed to avoid diluting the medication. Not sure if this is the “correct” approach but it has always worked ok for me.

Eyrie
    Participant

Agree on not doing water changes due to dilution reducing the effectiveness of the medication.

Sofia

I did some water tests and the came out as
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0.25
    Nitrate: 40

Can I safely leave it, or do I have to change some water?
    I am on day four of medicating, so could potentially do a little change on Thursday just before medicating afresh.

Shall I also up the temperature of the tank a little? They have coped very well with the temp at 84F.

Thanks

Matt
    Keymaster

The nitrate is a little high but you should be ok for another couple of days. Are you starting to notice any improvement in the infected fish?

Sofia

Well, the rams still have some of the white spots, but I think it has become less than it was before. they are mainly now on the caudal fin and not on the bodies anymore. I did see the other female platy ‘flicking’ today though, so i am sure there is still some way to go.

I’ll do a water change then just before medicating the tank on Thursday. What do you recommend how much? Should 10-15% suffice?

Matt
    Keymaster

You might not need a second course unless it tells you to do so on the bottle. I’d change 10% if that is the case. Which product are you using again?

Sofia

I got Protozine, as my lfs didn’t stock WS3

keith565
    Participant

i spoke to one of the chaps at waterlife last year about their meds. apparently the likes of protozin, myxazin etc break down in the water within 12 hours of adding it, so i think it is safe to do a water change. one other reason is it will dilute any spores in the tank, helping to clear up the disease quicker.
    myxazin can be dosed every 12 hours if need be, but stick with the instructions for the protozin,
    as a side line, i have used protozin several times in the past, and i always dose every day, but that is just me. i’m not suggesting anyone tries the same.
    however, i’ve never had a death whilst doing so.

Sofia

Thanks Keith. That is very good to know.

I will see whether I can get to the lfs today, or see whether pets at home stock melafix, although I doubt it

Matt
    Keymaster

Sofia most of these products are cheaper to buy online. I can pm you the name of a decent supplier if you like?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.