LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sierra De Grazalema

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Sierra De Grazalema

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  retro_gk 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

FINALLY managed to find a few free hours to get out of town last week. My girlfriend plus mate wanted to do some climbing and mentioned a canyon in the Sierra de Grazalema mountains through which flows a river (the Rio la Venta) so I took my nets. Unfortunately the river was polluted and very turbid, I guessed due to agricultural runoff as there was quite a bit of farming going on in the area. Only found a couple of crayfish which I think were introduced Procambarus clarkii.

Nice place anyway though; loads of birds and there are quite a few colonies of vultures (including a few pairs of Egyptian vulture Neophron percnopterus) in the mountains. We saw some Griffons (Gyps fulvus) plus plenty of smaller raptors and a couple of Spanish Ibex Capra pyrenaica hispanica (one alive, one carcass unfortunately).

My lady friend doing scary stuff.

On the way back we spotted this very nice place from the car and stopped so I could take a look. The goat herders kindly said it was ok and I caught some wee fish here. I have some poor pics but they’re still on the camera so I’ll put one or two up later. What was really cool about this place was the large population of Spanish striped-neck turtles (Mauremys leprosa). I will go back armed with a properly-working camera at some point; the screen on the back of ours is knackered so you can’t really see what you’re taking pics of if it’s anything other than a landscape.

Attached files

Bluedave
    Participant

Great pics mate,

Had to look twice to find your lady friend on that rock face

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Lovley pics Matt.

Your little lady took some finding mate

Matt
    Keymaster

She’s not so little that’s just a bl**dy big rock! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

great pics Matt. shame about the river being so polluted.

mickthefish
    Participant

crackin pics and scenery Matt, your girls got bigger gonads than me mate.
    i’d have been crapping me knickers way before i got to that height.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers all. She’s blonde Mick; her head’s full of sand so she doesn’t worry about anything.

This is how the water looked; mostly diatoms growing and not even many insect larvae.

Here’s our friend a little higher up. They were trying to reach that cave at the top but stopped about 3/4 of the way up due to soilation of undergarments.

Tapa de Capra hispanica.

These are the fish. Iberocypris or juveniles of something?

Attached files

retro_gk
    Participant

Climbing away from the water?? /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

The mutton looks delicious.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.