LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sierra De Las Nieves, Málaga.

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Sierra De Las Nieves, Málaga.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

We visited this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve yesterday afternoon. It’s up in the hills near Marbella and is home to a whole bunch of interesting animals including Spanish ibex, wild boar, otter, wild cat, roe deer and eagle owl. Our plan was to try and find the endangered freshwater blenny Salaria fluviatilis as I’d read it could be found in the “Rio Verde, Málaga” and the river flowing through the valley here is of that name. Cobitis were the other fish I was hoping to catch.

Well we had a fun few hours but failed miserably in catching either of the fish. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Istán is the only village on the road into the park we entered by. It was originally a Moorish settlement and lies next to natural springs flowing down from the mountains which is used as drinking water by the local people. There are springs like this all over the park and the Rio Verde has been dammed forming a large reservoir that supplies the Costa del Sol with drinking water. This is also why we didn’t fish closer to the coast as the river is dry below the dam!

After the village the road becomes very thin and after a couple of kilometres turns into a track along the side of the mountain. Luckily we had 4×4 power!

The beautiful Rio Verde valley.

After a few more km the track drops down into the valley and you arrive at this ford. It began to rise again almost immediately so we decided to stop here. Look closely and you will see an idiot with a net in this picture.

The habitat looked beautiful.

…but apart from an encounter with a grass snake the only thing of interest I caught were these. Anyone know what they are? Some Squalius?

Bit of flora.

Pitcher plant. Species?

Herpestes ichneumon, Egyptian mongoose. Very pleased to see this as it is rare in Spain.

Going home…

Attached files

oaken
    Participant

Very nice pictures Matt. Weather looks nice, not like here where all the snow is starting to melt

thelizzious

Did you mean this “idiot”Matt?

Matt
    Keymaster

thelizzious

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 12 2009, 03:55 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> You can run but you never can hide, huh?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Those fish look like Iberocypris Matt, possibly Iberocypris albunoides

Matt
    Keymaster

At last! A suggestion! /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Mark Duffill
    Participant

According to European Freshwater Fishes – Kottelat & Freyhof the Iberocypris was actually Squalius but has since been found to have enough unique charachteristics to be deemed a seperate species.

Squalius palaciosi is now Iberocypris palaciosi but kottelat states that the last individual was observed in 1999 and has since not been seen and is thought to have died out due to pollution and water regulation.

I will scan this info for you later on, there are a few issues with Iberocypris as it naturally hybridises with Squalius species which results in natural diploid and triploid hybrids.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ooh looking forward to the scan! *licks lips* I NEED that Kottelat and Freyhof book but haven’t had a spare 90 quid since it was published… dry.gif

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have sent the scanned page images to you by email

Matt
    Keymaster

Got them thanks Mark. Looks like that could be the fish right enough but what a bizarre method of reproduction!

Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.