LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Simpsonichthys magnificus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Simpsonichthys magnificus

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  baitmanx 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

I have some eggs of Simp, magnificus winging their way to me from the continent. Has anyone ever kept this species? I’m led to believe that they’re not particularly difficult but would appreciate any info if you’ve kept them or other Simpsonichthys species

Thanks in advance
    Jared

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve extremely limited experience with S. flammeus. Bought two pairs and the dominant male proceeded to hammer the other three fish to death within the space of 24 hours. dry.gif

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 10 2011, 10:16 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ve extremely limited experience with S. flammeus. Bought two pairs and the dominant male proceeded to hammer the other three fish to death within the space of 24 hours. dry.gif

Ha! Thats exactly what I don’t want to hear?

Matt
    Keymaster

Honestly don’t know Jared – that’s my only experience with them. Maybe Nigel (ricefish), Manuel or monsieur bastardo can add more?

Had them in a 18″ x 10″ tank and they were small; dominant male around 2 cm TL and the others around half that.

oaken
    Participant

I’ve had S. fasciatus, S. punctulatus and S. santanae plus some limited success with S. reticulatus (didn’t manage to hatch many fry) in the past and I never had any particular problems with aggression. Although I did raise them on my own (from eggs) and I suppose it might be a different story if you buy adult fish.

Although I think S. punctulatus and S. santanae are quite closely related to S. magnicifus so they might have more similar behaviour to them than to S. flammeus.

baitmanx
    Participant

agression not usually a prob with this species but as with other fish in smallish tanks best to provide plenty of cover for females as male constanly drive females to breed

hopefull getting these as soon as weather permits S. picturatus

Attached files

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (baitmanx @ Feb 1 2011, 10:41 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    agression not usually a prob with this species but as with other fish in smallish tanks best to provide plenty of cover for females as male constanly drive females to breed

hopefull getting these as soon as weather permits S. picturatus

Thanks for the replies guys. Baitmanx they look gorgeous.

My eggs turned up yesterday. I’ve also got Simpsonichthys gibberatus and 40 eggs of Austrolebias paucisquama. I had to wait for the weather too.

Did you get them from a breeder in France by any chance?

I’ve got a few weeks wait now before any of them are ready for wetting.

baitmanx
    Participant

no they coming from germany ,have you had expericence hatching killi eggs before???? if not here if you want any advice

hachge
    Participant

I have kept eggs of S.magnificus over a year before getting them to hatch.Mostly they hatch after 4 months at 25°C.Tiny fry need infusoria as first food for 3/4 days then all live food as usual for fry.

Jarcave
    Participant

Yep I’ve hatched a few species before.

hachge
    Participant

[For 3 days the BBs are too big even the tiny san Francisco Bay.The banana worms are also too big I only use infusorias then normal food,but never dry food.

baitmanx
    Participant

QUOTE (Jarcave @ Feb 9 2011, 03:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yep I’ve hatched a few species before.
    Author
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.