LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sinogastromyzon spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sinogastromyzon spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I’m awaiting emails responses from various folk on other loach genera so will add profiles for S. puliensis and S. wui (the only two we have images for) in the meantime.

Any upkeep or interesting behavioural information much appreciated! Is it correct these prefer a meatier diet than, say, Gastromyzon spp.?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have only heard of them having the odd nibble at algae wafers Matt, from my experiance and what I have been told they will always go for artemia, bloodworm etc over grazing or pellets etc, the wui that I had loved mysis shrimp and would even push the sewellia spotted out of the way to get them.

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s great Mark – has any sexual dimorphism been observed?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Not to my knowledge Matt, I think I went by similar to Sewellia, females wider body, and more angular in shape were leading edge of pectoral meets face, males more slender and more streamlined look to snout and leading edge of pectoral fin, but that isnt 100%

Matt
    Keymaster

Guessing sexually mature males will develop head/snout tubercules too but haven’t seen any pics to confirm that.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have never seen that either Matt so cant say for definate

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 11 2011, 09:26 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any upkeep or interesting behavioural information much appreciated! Is it correct these prefer a meatier diet than, say, Gastromyzon spp.?

yes they do. and lots. they really need good aeration. seems they run on a higher energetic level.
    s. wui are the most hiding I have; just 4 or 5 five good pics in years. and not very sociable; have no problems to match other species. s. pulienis are very different: more the smooth type.
    one thing with s. puliensis intrigates me: a species on the red list since 1989 and now and then in the market …
    sexing is easy by bodyshape

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (torso @ Feb 11 2011, 02:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    one thing with s. puliensis intrigates me: a species on the red list since 1989 and now and then in the market …

I’ve just written something about that in the profile not one hour ago Charles. I have a paper that says they were only allowed to collect very limited numbers for scientific work due to restrictions imposed by the Taiwanese Agricultural Department. In that case, how is the fish being exported for the aquarium hobby? Illegally? Or is it not S. puliensis?

P.S. what do you mean by ‘smooth’?

odyssey
    Participant

2 kinds of Sinogastromyzon is in my tank at present.
    They have come to my tank, S.wui is 5 years before, and S puliensis is 2 years before
    The hill climbing ability of S.puliensis is most excellent in Hillstream Loaches according to my experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAIUHfQDhs

They eat an alga, but a bloodworm is also a favorite.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJrm6M6384

Sinogastromyzon tends to like the wider surface compared with other Hillstream loaches.
    They rarely get away from the glass face.
    They don’t like the small and unstable surface.

I thought you probably knew already, but it was raised in LOL before.
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=16879
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22166

Matt
    Keymaster

Diagnostic characters for S. puliensis – text from the unfinished profile:

No scales on upper surface of paired fins or the area between underside of pectoral fin origin and pelvic fin origin; presence of spots on upper surface of pectoral fin base; pelvic fins extending beyond anus; regular dark blotches present on dorsal surface of body; caudal peduncle length less than caudal peduncle depth; 60–65 lateral-line scales; 23–25 predorsal scales.

Charles’ fish:

Odyssey’s fish:

Attached files

torso
    Participant

beautiful specimen, odyssey

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 11 2011, 03:04 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ve just written something about that in the profile not one hour ago Charles. I have a paper that says they were only allowed to collect very limited numbers for scientific work due to restrictions imposed by the Taiwanese Agricultural Department. In that case, how is the fish being exported for the aquarium hobby? Illegally? Or is it not S. puliensis?

P.S. what do you mean by ‘smooth’?

Bump.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, following the images in A Photographic Guide to the Inland-water Fishes of Taiwan – Vol.1 Cypriniformes, and assuming they’re from Taiwan, the fish pictured above are closer to S. nantaiensis than S. puliensis based on the pectoral fin and dorsal surface patterning.

Attached files

Kajsa12
    Participant

and assuming they’re from Taiwan

I’m not sure about that. Mine came from a supplier in Singapore and were labelled Beaufortia leveretti.

torso
    Participant

I remember a video on youtube “treasure in the water-the endemic freshwater fisches of taiwan” by the governement. can’t find the link. there s. pulienis is to be seén. you know it already, Matt?

found it

http://video.coa.gov.tw/eng/my-aquarium.php?iMda_seq=2724

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.