LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Slime Mold?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

One time I dropped a rock from my beach into my tank (that had live seaweed clinging to it for the fish to eat). I always double check the seaweed for “wierd stuff”, but I didnt SEE the slime mold because it was gelatinous and clear until it got in my tank /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

I understand that they die off and propagate really fast and I was seeing it’s offspring. But I really know nothing about them. Anybody here ever had them?

Malti
    Participant

never had that..

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Aug 2 2008, 03:50 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    never had that..

It was totally freakie Malti….made my hair stand on end, but also made me sad when it died. Never have been able to find another one.
    Here’s another aquarist’s report of the same thing I encountered
    http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/slime-mold.html

this page of interesting aquatic photography has a slime mold picture if you scroll down
    http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/macro_photos.htm

Malti
    Participant

seems to be a living fungi…cool

thinking of setting up a slime mold tank reva?

KAH
    Participant

very weird, I confess I would have been shuddering & shrieking while removing it from the tank asap.
    Not good with icky slimey stuff.

since it came from the beach do you think it would have survived better in a marine tank?

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Aug 2 2008, 11:39 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

seems to be a living fungi…cool

thinking of setting up a slime mold tank reva?

KAH
    Participant

hmmm, to feed it you could try collecting aquatic plant material from the beach, that would probably have the bacteria it likes to feed on.

Of course first you have to find another one.

Bluedave
    Participant

the red weed, very war of the worlds!

Matt
    Keymaster

That second link has some lovely photos Reva, and the pic of the slime mould is beautiful.

Reva
    Participant

moving this to the marine section. Trust that’s not worthy of a beheading!

Of course not bossman /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    BUT…you Can get them in your fresh water tank by accident /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Richy
    Participant

if you really wanted to have a setup for it then a suggestion
    Tank obviously /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    If possible use water from the same location for water changes but you’d need plain RO for topups to keep the salinity stable without too much fluctuation.
    Feeding would require some type of photoplankton foods. There are many out there on the market, live and dry.
    The question is, is this something you “Really” want to keep?
    If you do frequent enough water changes you shouldn’t need a skimmer aslong as you’r careful with the feeding.

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Richy @ Aug 4 2008, 08:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The question is, is this something you “Really” want to keep?

/huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

But it was very Creature From The Black Lagoon Sci Fi spooky for a while there. *sigh* My imagination says “what if there are biolumenescent ones”? /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Aug 4 2008, 11:55 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

i would describe it, as interesting, strange, and captivating…/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

as a wise man said, the biggest parasite has got 2 legs, sucks off everything and is a cannibal, as it sucks from parasites of the same species…

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Aug 4 2008, 10:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i would describe it, as interesting, strange, and captivating…/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

as a wise man said, the biggest parasite has got 2 legs, sucks off everything and is a cannibal, as it sucks from parasites of the same species… /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />
    and so am I ? /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” /> /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” /> /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Aug 5 2008, 06:04 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    soooooo..you are sayiing you are interesting, strange and captivating….? /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

and so are all of us? /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” /> /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

*runs*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.