LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Small And Beautiful

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Small And Beautiful

This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  stevencaller 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Got two pairs of these last week from a friend …… wild caught from Terengganu,Malaysia.

Betta tussyae

Thought i highlight the coccina group here;cos the brownorum,persephone,coccina,tussyae will soon be extinct.Their habitat is being destroyed to make way for development projects.

dunc
    Keymaster

More bad news for fishes

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah I´ve mentioned that in the relevant species profiles. People just don´t seem to care about small fish sadly. Show them a polar bear or panda and they go nuts though…

Malti
    Participant

ok serious drooling here…

we should find a way to save them

mickthefish
    Participant

i had these a few years ago, very pretty fish, and not as jumpy as the rest i’ve kept the worst being persephone i only had them 15 minutes and the pair founs an opening and the rest is history.,

mick

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Sep 4 2008, 12:23 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i had these a few years ago, very pretty fish, and not as jumpy as the rest i’ve kept the worst being persephone i only had them 15 minutes and the pair founs an opening and the rest is history.,

mick

My persephone and coccina is coming next week.I lost a batch of miniopinna (abt 10 pairs) two years back in similar incident. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

owls_79
    Participant

Stunning fish /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> where and under what conditions did your friend find them?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

These fishes inhibits the blackwater swamps in Terengganu.I was informed that they were caught near the border area.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe nice avatar Haji. /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Hi Matt,

Thought i add my avatar … seems everyone got them /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Yes pugnax group is a nightmare to define ….. As in the words of a friend of mine …… “Nobody dare to touch them yet”.I collected these pugnax sp as well.At the moment i have about 6 types collected from different regions all over Malaysia.The best one that i have comes from Ulu Paip,Kedah (North Malaysia)..I was given a pair about 8 mths ago ….. Now i have something like 30+++.Absolutely beautiful fish. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Graeme
    Participant

Gorgeous fish!!

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (Graeme @ Sep 10 2008, 12:04 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Gorgeous fish!! /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Thought i share with you guys here this common wild betta.For those that have visited my website,this is the same old pic but i have added a few more for the omphhh
    Their home … This is the same leaf litter that i collect from their habitat in Sibu(Sarawak).I keep all my browns in these type of settings.

A male brownorum taken in their respective tank.I have about 10 tanks full of the Sibu and Matang brownorums
    I place the browns in these tank for photography.Normally i let them be and only took pics on the 3rd day.The reason being … i want them to adapt to the surrounding.Taking photos of a newly introduced fish often result in poor coloration and in most times the fish is so stress out, … and hiding.

The brownorums are prolific … They breed almost every week and the eggs hatched on the 2nd day.BTW they are bubblenesters.Due to their frequent spawning,i couldnt be bothered to remove the earlier fry.So far the fry from the various spawns live happily with their parents and the fry from the other spawn.If you ask me what is the difference between the Sibu and Matang brownorums … i say there are none.Some say the blotch on the matang ones are bigger and i have heard some say that the Matang ones are sometimes mouthbrooders.Yet to be proven???

oaken
    Participant

Very nice. Good thing there are a lot of dedicated Betta-breeders out there. I’m personally looking for more species from the coccina-group but they are hard to come by around here (Sweden), mouthbreeding bettas are a lot more common, for some reason.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Some fry update pics:

Betta brownorum (Matang)

About 4mm(TL) ie about 3 weeks old

Grow rapidly feeding only on BBS …

Sharing the same tank with the other two spawns from the same parent ….. this beauty is 8mm(TL) and is more than 6 weeks old.

Another fry … the parent was pass over to me by Melvin aka Merubin during his short scooping trip to Matang with our friend Mr Tuckfai.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.