LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

small community – S. America

Home Forums My Aquarium small community – S. America

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jakub 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Beyond the deeper debate where they should be placed in the Knowledge Base? The common ornamental platy is probably a hybrid, for example, so should it be assigned to Xiphophorus maculatus or not?

Rüdiger
    Participant

I should think our scientists are much better placed to answer that question. Since I am but an ordinary, humble fish keeper, I only have questios and no answer.

Should a hybrid be assigned species status? (that is what you are asking)

If so, what about a hybrid², you know, a specimen resulting from crossing 2 hybrids?

As I said, scientists to the fore. :-)

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

No, that’s not exactly what I’m asking. The basic question is should we include fish that are hybrids in profiles of scientifically-described species?

Jakub
    Participant

Back to my fish ;) – A. hongsloi female about to make an evasive manoeuvre…

A.-hongsloi-female.25.12.jpg

Jakub
    Participant

20121229_133813.jpg

And the same female guarding the crack in the root on the right hand side where, I believe, the eggs must be hidden. I couldn’t find her since yesterday and almost considered her dead,20121228_171352.jpg when suddenly, she sprang out from that little crack to chase off a H. rosaceus that happened to swim by.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Jakub yeah, apologies for the derail. 😳

Any sign of fry yet?

Jakub
    Participant

Hi Matt

No sign of fry, and I am not sure what is going on. The female isn’t living out of that crack any more. Instead she is flirting with the male again and building something in the shape of a nest in the large cave under the bogwood on the left. She seems to be gradually covering the two front entrances with sand and gravel and I am pretty sure that she made a tunnel leading into the cave from behind.

All this is happening in a pretty crowded 60l community tank, and not by design. It is impossible for me to see what’s inside her hideouts without disturbing the decor, so when I noticed that ‘something is up’ I decided just not to interfere. I suppose I could lift the root on the right, now that she doesn’t seem interested in it any more, but then again, if she is not interested then probably there is nothing to look at…. ;)

Do Apistos spawn at night? Before the whole thing started the male was chasing her and nagging for about two weeks, and she would just run away or ignore him. Then I switched the lights off one evening and next day her colouring changed and she was guarding that spot I described earlier.

Regards

Jakub

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.