LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Snails

This topic contains 36 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

Malti asked me about snails.
    The ancient Maya ate the local Lake snails and the shells are found in the paste of their pottery. The shells are also found in the Lake sediment. The species was Cochlipina.francesae amongst others.
    I have never seen a snail here on land or in the Lake. Perhaps they have all been eaten.
    I have heard that large water snails are found in the River Usumacintra and once again are eaten by the locals.
    If I come across any other information I will post it

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Oct 31 2009, 08:15 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Malti asked me about snails.
    The ancient Maya ate the local Lake snails and the shells are found in the paste of their pottery. The shells are also found in the Lake sediment. The species was Cochlipina.francesae amongst others.
    I have never seen a snail here on land or in the Lake. Perhaps they have all been eaten.
    I have heard that large water snails are found in the River Usumacintra and once again are eaten by the locals.
    If I come across any other information I will post it

so its a country without snails?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Oct 31 2009, 01:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    so its a country without snails?

johnpeten
    Participant

The local freshwater snail is called by the locals “hootay” . It is the Jute Snail Pachychilus.indiorum.
    They are found in small shallow streams. An area where they are know to be collected is Sacpuy which is to the NW of but near Lake Peten.
    Apparently they are collected and sold in the local market
    The shells of these creatures are always found in large quantities in Mayan rubbish dumps and at ritual sites.

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 2 2009, 04:40 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The local freshwater snail is called by the locals “hootay” . It is the Jute Snail Pachychilus.indiorum.
    They are found in small shallow streams. An area where they are know to be collected is Sacpuy which is to the NW of but near Lake Peten.
    Apparently they are collected and sold in the local market
    The shells of these creatures are always found in large quantities in Mayan rubbish dumps and at ritual sites.

Is it the same as that found in Mexico?

would it be possible to send me some please? at my expense that is

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Nov 2 2009, 02:07 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is it the same as that found in Mexico?

would it be possible to send me some please? at my expense that is

Yes it is found in Mexico and Belize.
    I live in the back of beyond and I don’t have anything in which to send live creatures. Also my outgoing mail would take at least two weeks to reach you.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 2 2009, 02:52 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes it is found in Mexico and Belize.
    I live in the back of beyond and I don’t have anything in which to send live creatures. Also my outgoing mail would take at least two weeks to reach you.

2 weeks is not alot for snails, although some are delicate and don’t survive, they don’t really need special packaging, carboard box, a water container and voila sorted. mmm do they give birth or lay eggs? cause eggs would most probably survive the trip

johnpeten
    Participant

I have now discovered that the genera of snails found in the Lake are Pomacea the Apple Snail. Several species are reported.
    “Pomagea ghiesbreghti (Reeve) in Guatemala this magnificent …
    typical specimens at Flores Island in Lake Peten, Guatemala (Larson). This lake
    was also the type locality for Pomacea giganlia(Tristram, 1863)

Here is a picture of a typical example they are about golf ball size. Eventually I may be able to obtain a live one.

Attached files

johnpeten
    Participant

The boys found me a snail from the Lake. It is about the size of a golf ball. I put it into one of my small holding tanks and forgot about it. Much later I saw that it had vanished. I found it on the floor.
    I put it back into the tank and it has made no further attempt to escape. I guess tanks with snails have to be closely covered.
    I have not discovered the species as yet.

Attached files

johnpeten
    Participant

This is my first experience with a snail. I understand that they live on detritus. I scattered some fish flake into the tank. The snail climbed onto its foot and the mouth appeared and sucked in the flake.
    I also saw what appeared to be an eye but perhaps it is a breathing hole. I have yet to find a detailed anatomy of a snail. So far a fascinating experience.

Attached files

johnpeten
    Participant

I have now found a very good anatomy for the Apple Snail. The species is probably Pomacea flagellata. If this is correct then I have a female and will have to have a boyfriend found.
    It has now dragged down a spinach leaf from the surface and is rapidly consuming it. Eggs hatch in about 14 days.
    The apple snail has a very bad reputation for being introduced where it should not be and causing havoc.
    The tank is now covered to prevent further escapes.

Attached files

Bluedave
    Participant

Crackin’ pic John

Malti
    Participant

Hi John,

yes it does look like a Pomacea flagellata, very interesting snails to keep and breed (I have about 8 of them) and I think it wasn’t trying to escape, but trying to lay eggs, as it lays them above the water level (she needs 15-20cm). More info can be found here http://www.applesnail.net. Athough its probably endemic there, its a world wide alien pest.

ps hey dave!

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Nov 9 2009, 03:50 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi John,

yes it does look like a Pomacea flagellata, very interesting snails to keep and breed (I have about 8 of them) and I think it wasn’t trying to escape, but trying to lay eggs, as it lays them above the water level (she needs 15-20cm). More info can be found here http://www.applesnail.net. Athough its probably endemic there, its a world wide alien pest.

Thanks Malti, that website is answering all my questions.
    flagellata was originally described as Pomagea ghiesbreghti and reported here in the Lake. I will be able to confirm this when I find a male with the bell like shell opening.
    I never thought that I would be into snails but now I am fascinated.
    My boys will be happy as they now have some more work to do to find the male snail.
    When this is settled we will be after the Jute Snail.

Looking through the species found this reference and the description and size fits my snail.
    Pomacea flagellata livescens: Mexico (Tabasco and Chiapas) and north-east Guatemala (Péten Lake).

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 9 2009, 03:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks Malti, that website is answering all my questions.
    flagellata was originally described as Pomagea ghiesbreghti and reported here in the Lake. I will be able to confirm this when I find a male with the bell like shell opening.
    I never thought that I would be into snails but now I am fascinated.
    My boys will be happy as they now have some more work to do to find the male snail.
    When this is settled we will be after the Jute Snail.

Looking through the species found this reference and the description and size fits my snail.
    Pomacea flagellata livescens: Mexico (Tabasco and Chiapas) and north-east Guatemala (Péten Lake).

you’re welcome…I have the gold variety of them, would send you a couple if only u were nearer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.