LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Snails After Water Change?

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Snails After Water Change?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HIGHTOWER 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

HIGHTOWER
    Participant

Been free of snails for a while now, and yesterday I did a water change, and I’ve been getting snails since… not added plants, fish, anything what-so-ever, other than tap water with de-chlorinator in it…

Where will the snails be coming from?

dunc
    Keymaster

You say you’ve been “free of snails”.. in what sense?

I know you had a previous snail infestation, how did you remove them?

HIGHTOWER
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ Jan 6 2008, 04:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You say you’ve been “free of snails”.. in what sense?

I know you had a previous snail infestation, how did you remove them?

I said an infestation, but I had about 5 snails max in one go! Took em all out and cleaned everything!

Havn’t seen another for weeks, then after a water change I’m getting them again! :S

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s a bit bizarre but I would presume that the water change>new infestation was actually coincidence. Snails are asexual; they can breed on their own (and dear lord they breed rapidly). If you left a SINGLE tiny snail in that tank when you cleaned everything (bear in mind they mostly live in substrate so you’d have to have taken all of that out and boiled it to completely remove it) then they will have bred hard.

Chances are that the water change just upended the substrate, forcing the snails in to places you can actually see.

HIGHTOWER
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ Jan 6 2008, 09:50 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Chances are that the water change just upended the substrate, forcing the snails in to places you can actually see.

That’s what I thought too… just wanted assurance that I wasn’t drinkint tap water with snails in it!!! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Author
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.