LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Snails In My Tank

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Snails In My Tank

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sofia 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Sofia

Hi everyone.

I have done the 100% water change today. The pH reads in at 6pH. The water was fairly cold, so I assume i killed off all the bacteria that would have grown in the filter. That’s fine though, as I will be away from tomorrow for a week and the tank will have time to cycle…again /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />
    Sofia

Matt
    Keymaster

What shape are the shells Sofia? Curved like a garden snail or cone-shaped?

Sofia

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 18 2008, 05:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What shape are the shells Sofia? Curved like a garden snail or cone-shaped?

Cone shaped. Tiny and black brownish in colour

becca11
    Participant

I too have this problum. The staff at the local petstore say to not do anything about them, as they arn’t harmful?

But now they’re way too many.. Is there a solution to get rid of the snails?

Matt
    Keymaster

Just for confirmation purposes, do they look like this?

Attached files

Sofia

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 18 2008, 09:39 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just for confirmation purposes, do they look like this?

They look slightly rounder, but definitely cone shaped

Matt
    Keymaster

Well it sounds like you have a nice population of Melanoides tuberculata aka the Malaysian Trumpet Snail. Having a few of these can actually be beneficial for the tank and particularly the substrate in my opinion, but I know loads of people that detest them. They come out at night and spend the hours of daylight in the gravel as you’ve seen. I’ve had infestations in the past where the entire substrate seemed to come alive just after lights out.

Sofia

I want them completely gone. As you know I have no fish currently and micht need to change the gravel anyway.

becca11
    Participant

Hi,

And no. The ones I have are much much smaller. The size of… a pebble. I’m not at home right now, and I don’t exactly know how to describe them without looking at them, haha. I’ll try and take a photo of some later.

Adam
    Participant

Hi Sofia,

If you have not got fish the easiest way to get rid of snails is to drain the aquarium and remove the gravel and ornaments etc from the aquarium and pour boiling water over them.

It sounds like you have the type of snails which give birth to live young (if they appear like Matt’s picture) so you don’t have to watch out for eggs. I would pour boiling water over the glass too and check around the hood/lid for any missed snails etc.

Check really carefully in your filter and any pipework etc you may have (you can keep the filter media damp in a plastic bag once you have checked it thoroughly for snails. This will help keep all the GOOD bacteria from your cycling /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> or manually remove the snails from them.

An alternative option (particularly as you do not have fish?) is to dose with a snail killing treatment. The downside to this is that the dead and dying snails normally pollute the aquarium, which should not be so significant in your case. However I would still remove the shells once the snails have died AND in my experience such treatments are rarely 100% (you only need to leave one snail and the whole cycle will repeat a few months down the line)

becca11
    Participant

Okay, Here is a photo of a snail from my fish tank;

Its a round-ish shell, then it goes into a swirly cone shape at the end.

Sofia

Hi Adam,

you are right, I don’t have any fish yet, so might give the boiling a go. I might have to replace the gravel anyway, as my pH climbed again and I am not sure enough water would have been able to get logged in the piece of wood and gravel I have.
    I will see what I do when I get back home.

I will check the plants, as I really like my selection and being a student, money is a bit tight

Matt
    Keymaster

I’d boil the buggers too if there aren’t any fish yet. In future try to give any new plants a dip in warm salty water (couple of minutes max) as this is how snails or their eggs are usually introduced into an aquarium.

Becca yours are a different beast entirely…this is some species of Planorbis; usually referred to as Ramshorn snails. Personally I don’t mind having a small population of these in a tank; they will munch small particles of uneaten food and some kinds of algae. If the population is allowed to grow unchecked they can become a problem, though. Again, seeing as you have no fish yet, it would be much easier to get rid of them now than later. Hope that helps!

Sofia

Just found a snail and mine looks a lot different. It looks like this. There don’t seem to be too many in the tank. Do I still boil the gravel?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Holy resize Batman!!! Sofia I’ve taken the liberty of re-sizing your pic as it was about to send our server into meltdown!

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.