LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Snails

This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Sofia

QUOTE (Richy @ Jul 4 2008, 05:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    [/b]I just got a “zebra horned snail”, thats what the supplier called it anyway.

That’s what I got. Mine were called rare Bee Staghorn Nerite

ulster exile

I was thinking that too!

I like your Sofia – mine are the zebra nerites in the pic.

Sofia

Oh, the Zebra ones are very pretty, but they look a lot larger than mine.

The Bee Staghorn ones only grow up to 0.5 inches. So I got them in order to have enough space for some future fish

Malti
    Participant

lol @ don king snail

Richy
    Participant

i have normal zebra’s in one tank but got one of these for the bristlenose growout tank. These just came in today but i noticed many had the horns missing and they looked a bit carnivourous as there were many on top of each other. I would of got a couple but didn’t know anything about them. I was thinking you’rs were black/white from memory of the site you got them from and thought it was different.
    This is actually about ½” now so probs classed as old. It’s doing a great job anyway however old it is

Richy
    Participant

for the record, i paid £1.50

Malti
    Participant

never saw them around here :S we only get apple/mystery/ramshorn/trumpet…etc

Sofia

QUOTE (Richy @ Jul 4 2008, 11:26 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I was thinking you’rs were black/white from memory of the site you got them from and thought it was different.

Mine looked black/white on the page but are more yellowish/black. They are lovely, shells are intact and they have been eating away all day and night. The tank is a lot clearer now and I am waiting for the downstairs tank to be off Protozin and having had another huge water change and it being colder again. I saw a few of the Platies flicking against plants and thought I’d try to nip it in the bud.
    All fish seem healthy and happy otherwise though

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice going Sofia.

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 5 2008, 01:37 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice going Sofia. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Good to hear your snails are doing well, the one I got is fine too

geordie John
    Participant

Hi Sofia,
    I’ve seen your Nerites sold under a few names Batman Snails seems to be the present .I’ve never kept that species /Sub/variety (I’d guess species ) but others breed readily and lay little calcium covered eggs all over the place LoL they become a bit of a problem as their hard to get rid of .Its then that they need a brackish environment to survive . I had cases/pods which hey’d opened (like the aliens ponds ,the films LoL) (sorry tried to amend sp misstakes and print started to cover what I didnt want :0 ) They seem to tollerate lower than base ph but their shells start to errode / also had to keep them covered and they still crawled about on the cover glass ! They are nice looking though and dont seem to bother live plants.
    all the best,
    G.John

Sofia

QUOTE (Richy @ Jul 5 2008, 08:36 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sofia, you could always add some tonic salts to the other tank as this may help aswell but be careful of the dosage as alot of cory’s (if you have some) don’t like too much salt and plants aint too keen.

Hi Richy,

I tried some salt in the beginning with the tank but have been advised by everyone to not do it anymore, so I’d preferably not add any salt. Also, one of the snails will stay with my fighter. I don’t think he’d appreciate it

Sofia

QUOTE (geordie John @ Jul 5 2008, 09:29 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    others breed readily and lay little calcium covered eggs all over the place LoL they become a bit of a problem as their hard to get rid of .Its then that they need a brackish environment to survive .

Do you mean the eggs need brackish water to survive, or the adults?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Sofia @ Jul 5 2008, 10:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Richy,

I tried some salt in the beginning with the tank but have been advised by everyone to not do it anymore, so I’d preferably not add any salt. Also, one of the snails will stay with my fighter. I don’t think he’d appreciate it

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 5 2008, 10:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    salt and bettas don’t mix much. actually almost none

my CT Betta is still alive and healthy

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.