LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Some More Fish Collected On A Recent Collection Trip

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Some More Fish Collected On A Recent Collection Trip

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  pablito 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Nikhil
    Participant

Hi All,

The following fish were collected on a recent collection trip.

Other than the fish whose I was able to take. We collected:

Hope you enjoy it.

Matt
    Keymaster

That Glyptothorax looks like a beast Nik!

Nikhil
    Participant

Yeah beast alright but they are the hardest fish to catch. They somehow chose the hardest to access and stand in water. Benjamin was holding the net against the current and I was removing the stones after having dissolved some mud in to the water just to blind the fish about the net up ahead. Its really fun to do but yeah if you get washed away from there its pretty bad after that

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Great pics Nik

Plaamoo
    Participant

Great fish Nikhil! Thanks for sharing. How common are the nemachilichthys?

Nikhil
    Participant

Thanks Marc & Plaamoo.

Marc the O. nashii were in lots of sizes but none of them were in adult sizes max size we saw was around 2.5″. I hope you guys are able to get some or wait some months till I can send them across myself.

Plaamoo the Nemachilichthys shimogensis were only found in decent numbers at one particular spot. Its a hilly area where these are found so access to all parts is hard and in some cases there are drops from where the river flows. But the place where these were found was extremely fast flowing, not very sunny (shaded) and they were I think over rocks/cement bags that had lots of algae on them. If you disturb and catch a few fish many more would congregate to the same spot.

andy rushworth
    Participant

WOW ! Nikhil the sizes i.e. small would be great for growing on /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Andy.

Nikhil
    Participant

Thanks Andy,

No the two Osteochilus are not found in the same river. Atleast I have not yet found them in the same river. The tough dorsal spine is the key character for the O. brevidorsalis and this is the only fish with an osseous dorsal spine in the whole Genus.

I am keeping a few of the smaller ones to grow up and add to my list of fish I want to breed.

Plaamoo
    Participant

If you disturb and catch a few fish many more would congregate to the same spot.

That’s interesting. Were they feeding? I noticed while snorkeling in Thailand that some fish would follow me around. After the initial shock of my presence, they quickly learned that there was food to be had from my turning over rocks & disturbing the substrate.

Nikhil
    Participant

They did not look like really feeding when we came but as we disturbed the gravel it was clear that they were after the food that came up after the place was disturbed. But the sheer numbers that appeared in the net were amazing. We had single scoops of almost 20-30 fish at times and all fish from 3″-4″. The babies were more in the shallows where there were lots of smooth stones.

pablito
    Participant

Nik
    I seem to be the only one who has become a candidate for the RNIB as I’m unable to see the pictures. It’s frustrating in the extreme.

Is this deliberate Matt?

Matt
    Keymaster

Think it’s because Nik is linking to a Photobucket account Paul. This work?

Attached files

Nikhil
    Participant

Hi Pablito,

Matt
    Keymaster

More likely a problem with Paul’s firewall than your pics Nik!

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 15 2011, 02:23 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    More likely a problem with Paul’s firewall than your pics Nik!

very precise diagnosis Holmes.
    Matt’s right Nik will have to have a look at home.
    Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.